100# RF propane tank smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1stsmokebuild

Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Inspired by Parrish15, my 100# smoker build progress.

Between that build and Feldon's build calculator I had enough confidence to tackle one myself.

15" diameter by 36" tall tank flushed twice with dawn soap and ready to cut.

I recommend gloves when flushing. God awful stink was on my hands for 2 days...

Other materials acquired from local metal yard cutoff section. 

350 lbs of metal for about $250. Wheels were 70 of that...

First cut. 4.75" in from outer edge of tank. 3/16 tank thickness.

Cuts for firebox in 1/4" plate. 13"w X 16"d X 18" tall. 

Cut all the way through center and only scored edges to bend.

Like this. squared and tacked as i went

Cut for CC was fun with angle grinder. left 3/4" for drip edge

CC & FB meet. Excuse amateur welds, .030 flux core in a 120 welder on 1/4" plate was slow going...

Large hole is 2.5" and smaller holes are 1.75". Handle was made from an old chipping hammer.

Cut door opening and welded hinges. I resisted temptation and left all 4 corners attached to prevent the door from flopping around while I made the base.

Just some 2" square I had leftover from fence posts (background white picket fence)

Rolled her over and finally got to see inside!

3/4" lip was a success.

Burned out the stink. Good progress for a long weekend. I hope monsoons give me a break and I will be able to finish this weekend. Will post more pics again next week weather permitting... 

Handle on with little $3 fence spiral dealies. Ended up working really well at keeping handle cool.

smokestack is 1/4" thick x 3' tall x 3" diameter.

Pipe cap that worked well for a little hat

1/4" rf plate that I scored and ran over with my truck to crease.

Little grate supported by angle iron. I need to reinforce with more angle because it is now shaped like a u...

4 rattle cans of flat black, high temp paint. Thermostat and ball valve installed. 

Drug the beast into the backyard and fired her up! seasoned 3 times with peanut oil at about 500F

Temp was easy to maintain and there was very little smoke that leaked out the door. I don't think I'm going to add any additional seals around door openings.

So as I was painting, mailman showed up with remote thermometer. Might as well send in the first victims. 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours until internal temp of 165. 

Cost breakdown:

$40 for tank

$250 for metal

$60 for expendables 

So about $350 lol. A bit more than wife wanted me to spend...

I would guess I had about 40 hours into it as well.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: bamak
Nice build. I have a 100# tank in the garage, will be using some of your ideas and calculations as a comparison when I build one for my buddy.
I got a good laugh on the 1/4 plate ran over with the truck idea. lol +1 on the gloves to avoid the smell issue. Just went through the same not
too long ago. :o)

Thanks,
J

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky