10 Turkey posts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

r2 builders

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Escondido , California
Going to smoke a turkey for New years evening.
So far I have read probably 10 posts on the subject even that guy who used all caps for his post.
There seems to be multiple opinions on the subject.
So I am going to do what I have picked up so far.
Equipment: MSB propane two door with the typical mods.
12# bird rubbed with garlic oil and SPOG. In the fridge tonight at 6pm.
Fire up the smoker somewhere around 3pm tomorrow (dinner is around 6 to 6:30pm)
Fire up the smoker around 1/2 prior to the bird goes in, lets the smoke even out to TBS (cherry wood chunks)
Aiming for a chamber temperature around 325 degrees.
I'm guessing around 3 hours then tented to rest for 1/2 hours then wrapped up for transport.
Well that's my plan.
Will post pics along the way

BTW, love the site and all the info.

r2

Last edited:
Last time I did a whole turkey I just rubbed it and let dry overnight and it turned out pretty good.
So I think I am going to do the same on this one.
I did a 6# 1/2 Turkey Breast a few weeks ago where I brined, rubbed and injected and it was a bit much.

Your thoughts?

r2

Last time I did a whole turkey I just rubbed it and let dry overnight and it turned out pretty good.
So I think I am going to do the same on this one.
I did a 6# 1/2 Turkey Breast a few weeks ago where I brined, rubbed and injected and it was a bit much.

Your thoughts?

r2

I haven't brined, but I injected with creole butter and seasoned with Cajun seasoning and some herbs like thyme, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Best turkey I ever had. Even the leftovers were juicy.

Never had turkey that good before in my life

Hey All,
When this bird comes out of the smoker I am going to wrap it in foil and towels for transport.
Will wrapping it in foil affect the crispness of the skin?

Thanks for the feedback.
I will need to find another way to keep it warm for transport.
Luckily destination is 10 minutes away.
I may just it on some towels in the cooler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky