10 pounds of Thuringer Summer Sausage with jalapeno

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I removed the back fat and nasty inner junk from 2 pork butts and ran the meat through a 1/4 inch grinder plate twice for the Thuringer. I used PS seasoning/cure with 1 cup of Buttermilk powder and one jar of Mt. Olive diced jalapenos. I left the mix in the fridge for a day and then stuffed into 61mm fibrous casings and 1/2 inch hog rings. I left the sausage in the fridge for another day before going into the smoker . 1.5 hours with the dampers open at 120ish to dry the sausage before adding hickory chips for 4 more hours .I let the temps rise to 165.
IMG_0334.jpg

The sausage was removed from the smoker and vac sealed ,then put into a sous vide bath at 140 degrees for 4.5 hours. This is going by Baldwins time plus one more hour.
IMG_0335.jpg

I use a party stacker cooler (learned from this site :)) with a hole cut for the Anova sous vide to fit through. A small stainless steel mat holds any floaters under water for the bath.
IMG_0337.jpg

The texture is spot on with the smoker /sous vide combination
IMG_0338.jpg

The Thuringer has a nice tangy flavor and goes well with some cheddar cheese and crackers!
IMG_0340.jpg

I have stripped off the casings and cut and vac sealed for friends and snacking on future fishing trips. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_0341.jpg

Excellent! I like the looks of that texture. And I like your sous vide set up, I have the same. That coleman stacker packer ice chest is perfect for a sous vide container. And I like your water bath weight!

Reactions: crazymoon
Oh man. That be looking great! And I really like that SV set up. Where did you get that SS ring set up? Or did you make it?

I think your all set for the summer. That's some good looking sausage CM

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky