10 pounds of pepperettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Used up another 10 pounds of last years deer trimmings. Decided on some snacksticks (pepperettes) with a recipe from the old susanminor.org site that is no longer unless you have the backup from "Recipes From The Bradley Smoker Forums_v1.gso"

Anyways it was called Greg's Spicy Beef Sticks

Ingredients:

10 Pound Recipe
10 pound lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
2 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)
1 Tbsp Black pepper
1 Tbsp Red chili pepper (I used chipotle)
1 Tbsp Garlic salt
1 Tbsp Accent (optional)
2 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1 tsp Paprika
1-1/2 Tbsp Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1 Cup water
6 Tbsp Salt
1-1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

2 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Sheep or collagen casings 17 – 19mm

5 Pound Recipe
5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% 5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
1 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)
1-1/2 tsp Black pepper
1-1/2 tsp Red chili epper (I used chipotle)
1-1/2 tsp Garlic salt
2 tsp. Accent (optional)
1 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1/2 Cup cold water
3 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

1 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Sheep or collagen casings 17 – 19mm

Directions:

In a small bowl mix hot sauce, sugar, water and salt together. Stir until sugar and water are completely dissolved.

In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the dry ingredients except the encapsulated citric acid. Stir until well blended.

Combine wet and dry ingredients with meat and mix well.

Just before stuffing mix in encapsulated citric acid, and stuff mixture into prepared casings. Arrange sausage on racks, and place into the Bradley Smoker.

I just used his recipe and added to what I thought it needed.

Ended up very moist and not dried out.
Sheep 17-22 casings
IT of 150-155

kz1ACKi.jpg

aodBZq7.jpg

BnM3acM.jpg

Last edited:
Those look really good..... I buy sheep casings for my hot dogs because I much prefer sheep casings to collagen . I might do a batch the next time I order casings. What are the smoker temps? And I'm guessing they freeze okay? And do you just thaw and let come to room temp before eating?

Reactions: KBFlyer
Those look really good..... I buy sheep casings for my hot dogs because I much prefer sheep casings to collagen . I might do a batch the next time I order casings. What are the smoker temps? And I'm guessing they freeze okay? And do you just thaw and let come to room temp before eating?
Smoker temps are as follows
Bradely smoker:
2 hours @125° F (apply smoke after 1/2 to 1 hour. I like lots of smoke, about 4 hours is about right for me)
3 hours 140° F
160° F to finish off to IT of 150-155 About another hours.
Making sure to rotate racks if using.

Don't have a chance to freeze them. Kid and his buddies will have them gone in no time. LOL

Thanks for posting this!! I've been looking for a new recipe for some spicy sticks. Got kind of burnt out on the recipe I've been using and wanted something different. I may amp up the heat a little bit but the base recipe looks really good.

Robert

Reactions: KBFlyer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky