10-pounds of Homemade Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
It's been a few years since I've made homemade smoked bologna and so here we go...
Nothing too unique about this recipe (very similar to the version I made here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/more-bologna.128336/#post-866045 ) with some slight modifications. I used leaner cuts of both beef and pork in this version. Normally, I shoot for 18-20% fat content in many sausages/smoked ground meats—but this recipe I went far leaner (<15%).
Five pounds of butchered Pork butt— trimmed well, keeping more of the lean, less of the fat...
Five_pounds_lean_pork.jpg

Leaner grind—evident in the color...
Lean_pork_grind.jpg

I had the local butcher grind me up some five pounds of well-trimmed beef chuck. Good price on the chuck and when the butcher offered to grind it, I said 'go for it!'—hey, one less step for me in the process. Here's a tub with ten pounds of the ground meat for the bologna...
Lean_pork_and_beef.jpg

Seasonings & freshly-ground spices...the usual suspects for that classic bologna flavor. I did increase the amount of kosher salt (to 2% from 1.7%) from my previous recipe. I feel this increase will provide a slightly better balance between the saltiness & sweetness in the finished product (the nonfat dry milk & dextrose amount to approximately 1.8% sugar).

Ingredients_list.jpg

For the casings, I'll be using these large-diameter fibrous casings. This will yield full 'sandwich-sized' slices of bologna.
Red_Casings.jpg

Meats mixed with spices. I used about two cups of ice water to help in the hand-mixing of all the spices & cure to help ensure good equal distribution of all ingredients.
End result is a slightly-stick paste...
Meat_all_mixed.jpg

FINER Grind: ran the meat mix through a finer plate to get a uniform texture
Second_grind.jpg

Stuffing: Two full five-pound loads through the stuffer produced one large 19"long chub. Tightly-packed, hog-ringed and tied. Into the fridge to hang overnight!
Single_10lb_chub.jpg

Next Day: Into a preheated smoker (110°F) to dry out for about an hour before adding smoke. I had do some rearranging to accommodate the big chub as well as the large water pan. After an hour or so, I increased the heat to 130-135°F and began adding smoke.
big_chub_into_smoker.jpg

Two and a half hours in: I've had good success with this pellet tube in this particular smoker. I can get 5 to 6+ hours of even smoke with a full tube of pellets. Some big box smokers tend to snuff out some of pellet or dust smoke providers.
smokey_chub_2.5hrs_in.jpg

A few more hours to go—then finish with a hot water poach, ice bath and overnight hang in the refrigerator.
Thanks for viewing!
MORE TO COME....

Why would you tease us like that?
I actually was hoping to have the big chub smoked, sliced & posted by today—BUT things got delayed today so I'm a little behind in production.
As soon as it finishes and ready to slice, I'll have more! Thanks for your patience!

One part I left out in my initial post was sampling the mix before stuffing the chub. This is, of course, important to get the seasonings right before stuffing. I took about two tablespoons of the fresh meat mix, cooked it, and gave it to my in-house bologna taste-testers. Consensus: strong 'perfumey' bologna taste with a good balance of sweet and salty. Adding smokey goodness is only going to enhance the flavor. :emoji_ok_hand:

Reactions: buzzy and chopsaw
I actually was hoping to have the big chub smoked, sliced & posted by today—BUT things got delayed today so I'm a little behind in production.
As soon as it finishes and ready to slice, I'll have more! Thanks for your patience!
I'm just messin with you man. Looks good

Reactions: couger78
I cant wait to see the finish. Great thread so far. I have big casings like that I never used, they are years old now. Maybe I better buy new ones and try the big stuff.

I cant wait to see the finish. Great thread so far. I have big casings like that I never used, they are years old now. Maybe I better buy new ones and try the big stuff.
Unlike the naturals, the fibrous casings seem to keep for a long time with no ill effects.

Looks fantastic. Very nicely organized post too. What program are you using to put labels in the pics?

Looks fantastic. Very nicely organized post too. What program are you using to put labels in the pics?
Photoshop CS.
Looks good so far. Do you mind sharing the details on the recipe?
Thanks.
Not at all.

BOLOGNA
makes 10 lbs -can be ring or large chub

5 LBS (2.27kg) PORK SHOULDER (trim to lean; <15% fat)
5 LBS (2.27kg) BEEF CHUCK (trim to lean, <15% fat)
66g Kosher Salt (1.7% salt ) *Normal: 1.8-2.2%; 2%=80 grams
85g Non Fat Dry Milk (= 44g sugar)
36g Dextrose (+44g = 80g sugar; 1.77%)
12g Cure#1 (11.32g = 6.25%)
7.0g Pepper (white, preferred) freshly-ground
6.0g Paprika
4.5g Nutmeg, freshly-ground
3.0g Garlic powder
2.0g Allspice
2.0g Coriander, freshly-ground
1-1/2 cups Ice water

Soak Synthetic/Fibrous Casing(s) in warm water for 30 minutes prior to use.
Use a medium plate (4.5) to grind pork and beef chuck.
Mix salt and cure together in 1/2 cup water. Mix this solution into meats until well-mixed.
Let sit for an hour or so in fridge.** **optional step—not necessary if wish to save time.
Add remaining ingredients and grind again through fine plate (3.0 plate).
Stuff into casings. Air dry.

Preheat smoker to 100-110°F and hang bologna for an hour.

Raise temp to 130°F for another hour.
Apply Smoke. Smoke time: smaller chubs: 2-3 hours ; One large chub: 4-6 hours.
After two & a half to three hours (smaller chubs) raise temp of smoker to 160°F and
hold until internal temperature of bologna reaches 135°F. For one large chub, raise temp to 160°F after 4-5 hours of smoke until internal temperature of bologna reaches 135°F.
Poach chubs in hot bath @165°F degrees until 155°F IT is reached (30-60 minutes, depending upon chub-size).
Cool bologna in ice bath and hang to bloom.
Refrigerate overnight. Slice after well-chilling.

NOTE: the second FINE grind (3.0mm plate) can be done in a food processor as well (use ice chips with the meat) in order to reach the desired emulsified state. It can be a pain pushing a sticky ground mass through a fine plate on a meat grinder, but I found it more expedient than putting multiple loads through my food processor. Results are near identical and clean-up is far less.

Photoshop CS.
Not at all.

BOLOGNA
makes 10 lbs -can be ring or large chub

5 LBS (2.27kg) PORK SHOULDER (trim to lean; <15% fat)
5 LBS (2.27kg) BEEF CHUCK (trim to lean, <15% fat)
66g Kosher Salt (1.7% salt ) *Normal: 1.8-2.2%; 2%=80 grams
85g Non Fat Dry Milk (= 44g sugar)
36g Dextrose (+44g = 80g sugar; 1.77%)
12g Cure#1 (11.32g = 6.25%)
7.0g Pepper (white, preferred) freshly-ground
6.0g Paprika
4.5g Nutmeg, freshly-ground
3.0g Garlic powder
2.0g Allspice
2.0g Coriander, freshly-ground
1-1/2 cups Ice water

Soak Synthetic/Fibrous Casing(s) in warm water for 30 minutes prior to use.
Use a medium plate (4.5) to grind pork and beef chuck.
Mix salt and cure together in 1/2 cup water. Mix this solution into meats until well-mixed.
Let sit for an hour or so in fridge.** **optional step—not necessary if wish to save time.
Add remaining ingredients and grind again through fine plate (3.0 plate).
Stuff into casings. Air dry.

Preheat smoker to 100-110°F and hang bologna for an hour.

Raise temp to 130°F for another hour.
Apply Smoke. Smoke time: smaller chubs: 2-3 hours ; One large chub: 4-6 hours.
After two & a half to three hours (smaller chubs) raise temp of smoker to 160°F and
hold until internal temperature of bologna reaches 135°F. For one large chub, raise temp to 160°F after 4-5 hours of smoke until internal temperature of bologna reaches 135°F.
Poach chubs in hot bath @165°F degrees until 155°F IT is reached (30-60 minutes, depending upon chub-size).
Cool bologna in ice bath and hang to bloom.
Refrigerate overnight. Slice after well-chilling.

NOTE: the second FINE grind (3.0mm plate) can be done in a food processor as well (use ice chips with the meat) in order to reach the desired emulsified state. It can be a pain pushing a sticky ground mass through a fine plate on a meat grinder, but I found it more expedient than putting multiple loads through my food processor. Results are near identical and clean-up is far less.
Thank you

Looking good! I really like how you add the captions ti the photos, pretty cool.

Be back for the sliced shots

Great job on the bologna so far!
I can only get about 7 pounds into those casings, but I have a recipe for 7 pounds, so I have never tried 10.
Nothing like a good fried bologna sammie!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky