10 minute pickle kit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
While on vacation last week. I came across this.

20211117_091513 (1).jpg

Never heard of this company. And at 5.50 for the kit. I was wondering if I was throwing money out the door. The kit is only for four one pint jars.
And the stars must have been aligned. Because stopping at a store last night I found some pickling cukes.

20211117_092254_HDR.jpg

Sliced and packed in the jars.

20211117_094143.jpg

Brought the brine to boil per instructions. Added to jars and vac sealed. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

interesting, so this shaves off a few days of the normal way? I think we have the same granite in our kitchen or at least very similar.
rub.jpg

Reactions: xray
Are the jars included?? :emoji_laughing:

bfeAing.jpg
i4xGfP5.jpg
kMjjgEj.jpg
OermxAG.jpg
Seriously, I put up at least 25 jars of 'refrigerator veggies' in the form of pickles, dilly beans, asparagus, and jalapeno's. I use a product from Mrs. Wages called Kosher Dill Refrigerator Pickles. The individual packets are about $2.50 and I can get 2 to 3 pints per pack depending on the veggie. The nice thing about the Mrs Wages mix is that you can use the same product for processed pickles. So I bet your pricing is in the ball park.

interesting, so this shaves off a few days of the normal way? I think we have the same granite in our kitchen or at least very similar.
View attachment 516454

They do look close. Vacuum sealing the jars speeds up the process. Not the kit itself. I usually go a week with quart jars. 3 or 4 days with pint jars.

Are the jars included?? :emoji_laughing:

View attachment 516460
View attachment 516461
View attachment 516462
View attachment 516463
Seriously, I put up at least 25 jars of 'refrigerator veggies' in the form of pickles, dilly beans, asparagus, and jalapeno's. I use a product from Mrs. Wages called Kosher Dill Refrigerator Pickles. The individual packets are about $2.50 and I can get 2 to 3 pints per pack depending on the veggie. The nice thing about the Mrs Wages mix is that you can use the same product for processed pickles. So I bet your pricing is in the ball park.

They have their "starter kit" that includes the jar. If I'm using a premix. I usually use the Ball mix. Haven't tried the Mrs Wages. Though I've seen it around.

I'm hoping! Though I doubt it'll take place of my homemade recipe.

highly unlikely to replace your homemade recipe for sure.

If your talking water bath processed verses refrigerator pickles.... I thought that same thing, until I did a side-by-side taste test. Flavor and crispness are near perfect with refrigerator pickles. And did I mention crispness? :emoji_nerd:

Honestly I used the same brine mix and same batch of pickles. I still process 6 or 7 jars that are shelf stable but I love refrigerator pickles. Asparagus is a close second.

If your talking water bath processed verses refrigerator pickles.... I thought that same thing, until I did a side-by-side taste test. Flavor and crispness are near perfect with refrigerator pickles. And did I mention crispness? :emoji_nerd:

Honestly I used the same brine mix and same batch of pickles. I still process 6 or 7 jars that are shelf stable but I love refrigerator pickles. Asparagus is a close second.

Yup, talking about the fridge variant. Still haven't gotten around to water bath pickles.

Yup, talking about the fridge variant. Still haven't gotten around to water bath pickles.
me too, but I like the fridge pickles so much (also red onions) that I don't think I would go down the bath method. Never thought about asparagus, do they get any pre-cooking before the hot brine gets poured on?

me too, but I like the fridge pickles so much (also red onions) that I don't think I would go down the bath method. Never thought about asparagus, do they get any pre-cooking before the hot brine gets poured on?
Yes, both the green beans and asparagus need a 2.5 minute blanch in boiling water, then moved to icy water to stop the cooking.

2 pounds of green beans (before trimming to length) will yield 3 pint jars. I add a 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper to each jar.

5 bunches of asparagus will yield 3 of the 1-1/2 pint jars (same diameter as the pint jars, just taller).

Reactions: clifish

I just pour the hot brine on the rasw asparagus. Not sure what thirdeye does with his. For dilly beans. I do a 20 second blanch in boiling water. Then put in ice bath. It softens them up just a touch. And the color and snap are dead on for me.

Reactions: clifish
I just pour the hot brine on the rasw asparagus. Not sure what thirdeye does with his. For dilly beans. I do a 20 second blanch in boiling water. Then put in ice bath. It softens them up just a touch. And the color and snap are dead on for me.
Do you just eat them straight from the jar or use them in other ways?

The asparagus is good plain or as an addition to a bloody mary works well also! Usually add some dehydrated red chilis with them for a little heat. Talking refrigerator type, no blanching here either.

Ryan

Never saw these kits so it would be interesting to see. I always do refrigerator pickle because I don’t make that much and it never lasts.

Now, if I had an overflowing garden I would use the water bath for sure.

And the verdict is............they're delicious! A tad on the salty side perhaps. But really good on the spices and garlic. They are plenty crispy as well. I'm still on the fence in regards to the cost though.

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky