“BBBB”—Bear’s Buckboard Bacon (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got some of this put into the garage fridge last night. It was only about a 5lb boneless butt. I cut it into 4 and 3 of the 4 pieces look really good. The 4th is kind of raggy where the bone was cut out. I'm really looking forward to this one being finished

up my way, the most expensive butt is still cheaper than the most inexpensive belly!

crazy how that works.

It reminds me of how chicken wings got so expensive!
Back in the 80's you couldn't give them (Or belly) away.
Today, they are the most expensive cuts!

Being able to get a nice product out of the butt, like BBBB, is a great way to enjoy cured pork, AND save some money

Yup, we never get Belly for 97¢, but it's rare that Butts are below $3 around here too.

Dang Wings are all skin & bone anyway---I like the Much Cheaper Drums & Thighs anyway.

Bear

up my way, the most expensive butt is still cheaper than the most inexpensive belly!

crazy how that works.

It reminds me of how chicken wings got so expensive!
Back in the 80's you couldn't give them (Or belly) away.
Today, they are the most expensive cuts!

Being able to get a nice product out of the butt, like BBBB, is a great way to enjoy cured pork, AND save some money

OOOOPS---Forum screwed up & sucked me into clicking it twice.
First time it did that to me in a long time.

Bear

I'm going to pick up a butt tomorrow to try this. Belly is kind of hard to find around here, and is more expensive than butts.

Looks great Bear.

I'm going to pick up a butt tomorrow to try this. Belly is kind of hard to find around here, and is more expensive than butts.

Looks great Bear.

Thank You 5Grillz!!
You'll love it !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I got some of this put into the garage fridge last night. It was only about a 5lb boneless butt. I cut it into 4 and 3 of the 4 pieces look really good. The 4th is kind of raggy where the bone was cut out. I'm really looking forward to this one being finished

I got one cut & removed one time by the Butcher, and it was a terrible job---Worse than any I ever did.
You'll love it !!

Bear

Alright Bear, I started mine today.
I had to debone it myself because Bear Jr. lives to far away.
But I got'r done.
Then divided it in half, doctored it, and bagged it in Ziploc bags, and in the fridge.
I have some Pork Belly going too. Started a couple of days ago. So I put that on top of my butt bacon.
I turn it, talk to it, and massage it every day. Happy Bellies, and Happy Butts.
If this Butt Bacon comes out half as good as I expect, there will be a lot more.

I boiled the bone and my little (toothless) buddy is licking it clean.

Alright Bear, I started mine today.
I had to debone it myself because Bear Jr. lives to far away.
But I got'r done.
Then divided it in half, doctored it, and bagged it in Ziploc bags, and in the fridge.
I have some Pork Belly going too. Started a couple of days ago. So I put that on top of my butt bacon.
I turn it, talk to it, and massage it every day. Happy Bellies, and Happy Butts.
If this Butt Bacon comes out half as good as I expect, there will be a lot more.

I boiled the bone and my little (toothless) buddy is licking it clean.

That's Great, Sonny!!
Deboning was easy for me too, until November 8, 2012.
You'll love it.
It really is Awesome stuff!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Can I substitute the correct amount of #1 Prague powder for TQ? I would use the online calculator and weigh both the cuts of meat and the #1 cure at 156ppm.

Sure, as long as you use the proper amount of Cure #1 and the Sugar & Salt that go with it.
You can follow all of my other parts of this Step by Step.

Bear

Bearcarver,
I have read so much about your BBBB that I bought a pork butt and I qm going to try it using your step by step post. One question; What is the CBP that you sprinkle on with the garlic powder and onion powder?

Bearcarver,
I have read so much about your BBBB that I bought a pork butt and I qm going to try it using your step by step post. One question; What is the CBP that you sprinkle on with the garlic powder and onion powder?

Thank You Gary!!
CBP = Crushed (or Cracked) Black Pepper.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bear

Hi Bear - I'm trying this recipe as we speak, and the meat has been in the fridge for about 6 days now. My concern is that there isn't a lot of juice - I made bacon a month or so ago, and there was a lot of juice in the bag. But with this, there is very little. I did vacuum seal this one - on the regular bacon, I just put that in ziploc bags. Is that the difference?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky