Étouffée

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
This is my first time making it, but not my last. The back story is that I have a friend who was born and raised in south Louisiana, a true Cajun. He moved to South Carolina a couple of years ago with his job and that's how I came to know him. Couple of times a year, we enjoy fish camp together and he always makes crawfish étouffée. Well a couple of weeks ago, we were at fish camp again and I watched and asked questions about how he makes it. This time he included shrimp. After researching other threads on here and on the interweb about how others have cooked it, I decided to try my hand at it. Thanks to jcam222 jcam222 , dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 , and chilerelleno chilerelleno for your threads.

So here I go...

I thawed out a quart of shrimp and peeled them. I bought the frozen crawfish tails from the only place I could find them - Walmart. I chopped up some green and red bell peppers, garlic, a couple of jalapenos, a yellow onion, and some celery...
20210909_070930 (1).jpg
thumbnail (10).jpg

I didn't really look at the crawfish package before I got it home, but figured with a name like Boudreaux's, it had to be the real deal, but it is Walmart and I should've known better, product of China.

For the stock, I sauted the shrimp shells in EVOO with onion, celery, and bell pepper until the veggies got soft. Added in some chopped garlic and a couple of bay leaves and then added about 4 quarts of water. Brought it all to a boil, then reduced the heat, and l let it simmer until reduced to about 2 cups or so of stock - maybe 2 hours at the most. Strained out the solids and there was my stock...
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (11).jpg

Now time for the roux. Melted a stick of unsalted butter and added in a heaping 1/3 cup of all purpose flour. Stirring almost constantly until I get the color I'm looking for...
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

Time to add in the chopped veggies. I sautéed them until mostly tender then added in the shrimp stock and the crawfish tails. A can of Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes, a TBSP or so of creole seasoning, and a 1/4 tsp of cayenne were added and everything allowed to reduce and come together...
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg

The shrimp were sautéed separately in EVOO and dusted with creole seasoning...
thumbnail (4).jpg

Served with rice and garnished with some chopped green onions. Time to eat...
thumbnail (5).jpg

For my first try, I was pleased, but next time I'll try to source the crawfish from somewhere else. Critique is welcomed and encouraged as I'm always wanting to improve. Thanks to those who posted their threads and to my buddy, Mike for his help, he gave me a lot of insight into this traditional Cajun dish and what it means to their culture...

This is my first time making it, but not my last. The back story is that I have a friend who was born and raised in south Louisiana, a true Cajun. He moved to South Carolina a couple of years ago with his job and that's how I came to know him. Couple of times a year, we enjoy fish camp together and he always makes crawfish étouffée. Well a couple of weeks ago, we were at fish camp again and I watched and asked questions about how he makes it. This time he included shrimp. After researching other threads on here and on the interweb about how others have cooked it, I decided to try my hand at it. Thanks to jcam222 jcam222 , dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 , and chilerelleno chilerelleno for your threads.

So here I go...

I thawed out a quart of shrimp and peeled them. I bought the frozen crawfish tails from the only place I could find them - Walmart. I chopped up some green and red bell peppers, garlic, a couple of jalapenos, a yellow onion, and some celery...
View attachment 510118 View attachment 510119
I didn't really look at the crawfish package before I got it home, but figured with a name like Boudreaux's, it had to be the real deal, but it is Walmart and I should've known better, product of China.

For the stock, I sauted the shrimp shells in EVOO with onion, celery, and bell pepper until the veggies got soft. Added in some chopped garlic and a couple of bay leaves and then added about 4 quarts of water. Brought it all to a boil, then reduced the heat, and l let it simmer until reduced to about 2 cups or so of stock - maybe 2 hours at the most. Strained out the solids and there was my stock...
View attachment 510120 View attachment 510121

Now time for the roux. Melted a stick of unsalted butter and added in a heaping 1/3 cup of all purpose flour. Stirring almost constantly until I get the color I'm looking for...
View attachment 510122 View attachment 510123

Time to add in the chopped veggies. I sautéed them until mostly tender then added in the shrimp stock and the crawfish tails. A can of Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes, a TBSP or so of creole seasoning, and a 1/4 tsp of cayenne were added and everything allowed to reduce and come together...
View attachment 510124 View attachment 510125 View attachment 510127

The shrimp were sautéed separately in EVOO and dusted with creole seasoning...
View attachment 510128

Served with rice and garnished with some chopped green onions. Time to eat...
View attachment 510129

For my first try, I was pleased, but next time I'll try to source the crawfish from somewhere else. Critique is welcomed and encouraged as I'm always wanting to improve. Thanks to those who posted their threads and to my buddy, Mike for his help, he gave me a lot of insight into this traditional Cajun dish and what it means to their culture...
I garantee that looks fantabulous.

That looks and sounds outstanding!! Very well done and I can promise that I'd be all over a huge bowl if it were presented to me. Great big LIKE!!

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
That is a great looking plate of food.

I'm not one for shell fish of any kind, just do not like the texture, But my wife would
be all over that in a heartbeat, I can't show her or I would have to go and find Crawfish
to make it for her.

Very nice

David

Looks really good! Has anybody tried making a Keto/low carb version? Obviously the rice is an issue that we can work around but I'm more curious about skipping/substituting something for Flour in the Roux.

Looks really good! Has anybody tried making a Keto/low carb version? Obviously the rice is an issue that we can work around but I'm more curious about skipping/substituting something for Flour in the Roux.
Jeff's version is keto friendly...

Jeff's version is keto friendly...
Perfect!!! Thanks. Sounds like a good recipe to try out some of the fresh shrimp we caught on Monday!

Looks good to me! Guess I need to try to make some instead of going to the restaurants to get my fill.
Try it some time. I found that it really is easy to make, but also easy to burn the roux...
I garantee that looks fantabulous.
That looks and sounds outstanding!! Very well done and I can promise that I'd be all over a huge bowl if it were presented to me. Great big LIKE!!

Robert
You would be welcome here anytime, Robert...
That is a great looking plate of food.

I'm not one for shell fish of any kind, just do not like the texture, But my wife would
be all over that in a heartbeat, I can't show her or I would have to go and find Crawfish
to make it for her.

Very nice

David
David, I understand about the texture. I don't care for avocado for the same reason, but my wife loves it and guacamole...
Love me some Etouffee or Gumbo or Jambalaya any day of the week!
Me, too...
Looks fantastic to me!! Making me want to make some more.
Your thread was definitely helpful...
That looks outstanding! That presentation is spot on. Nicely done.
Edge, the presentation is my version of what jcam222 jcam222 did https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/shrimp-and-crawdad-etouffee.300367/
Just wished the boss like some Cajun food I would definitely try to make that. Looks delicious
Wow! Looks fantastic! I never ever heard of touffée dish before... Looks like I got to try it.... Thank you for sharing....
Etouffee is a Cajun dish that originated and was made popular in Louisiana. In my research, I found that adding the tomatoes made it Creole and leaving them out was authentic Cajun. But there's been much debate over that according to some of the info I read prior to me attempting this dish...

Thank you one and all for the compliments and your kind words, they really do mean a lot to me...

Looks great. Ive not had it in years. My oldest made the CIA recipe on a school break. Great food to warm and fill ya up....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky