What cut is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm interested. Been using the same recipe 30 years but, always up to try something different. Thanks...JJ

Here you go:
  • 3-4 pounds of meat cut into 1 inch or so thick steaks/slabs (i do this with venison top round, bottom round, or beef flank steak when i make my fajitas)
  • 2 cups of REAL pineapple juice (buy Dole Pineapple Juice in the 6 pack cans for real juice, avoid everything that says "from concentrate" you what NOT FROM CONCENTRATE or fresh squeezed)
  • 1 cup of soy sauce (this is your salt content)
  • Season steaks/slabs on each side with Pepper, Garlic, Onion, a Light bit of Chili Powder and a pinch of ground Cumin
  • Throw into a gallon ziplock bag
  • Pour in the Pineapple juice and Soy sauce
  • Marinate for 24 hours (minimal over night but 24 is the ticket)
  • Grill on high heat so it gets seared, like over 500F (do not throw out marinade)
  • Cook to medium rare
  • 1 min before pulling liberallybasted with marinade on both sides and let marinade on both sides get enough heat so the marinade is cooked/sanitized (raw juices in a bag so needs some flame/heat)
    • U can really baste the whole time but might mess with the sear so I wait until a good sear has happened and then i baste to get as much marinade flavor as I like and i like a good amount
  • Cut cross grain and be prepared to be amazed at the flavor!!!
This is will make you some amazing beef or venison fajitas. You can use this on cuts like round and chuck or sirlion if u like. The pineapple juice really tenderizes things so the longer you leave it the more tenderized the meat gets.

With beef my favorite fajitas are from flank steak (also called flat iron steak). You can use skirt steak but i don't like the amount of inedible fat and gristle that most skirt steaks have, its hard for me to find a good one but they are out there.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks. My recipe uses Lime Juice or Red Wine Vinegar. Yours with the Pineapple juice would mare a nice change...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
Hi there and welcome!

Man I would turn that into a smoked roast beef if I was going to attempt to smoke it.

Honestly I would cut steaks out of it and marinate those steaks to make beef fajitas. This is what I do with my Venison top round along with the eye and marinated medium rare grilled fajitas come out amazingly with such lean meat so I know your should come out great as well.

If u want an amazing fajita marinade that will tenderize the meat for grilling let me know I have a great and simple one :)

Please enlighten us I'm curious as well. She who runs the house loves her Mexican steaks.

Please enlighten us I'm curious as well. She who runs the house loves her Mexican steaks.

It is my understanding that beef Fajitas came into existence with places not wanting to grind skirt steak because it was too rough on the blades and the meat was not idea so they gave it away to the workers (Mexican workers).
They would take that meat and marinate it so that it turned super tender and then would grill it and cut it cross grain and that is beef Fajitas hahaha.

So you can do the same process with any steak or lessor cut of meat. In the case of the whole top round roast cut in this post I would cut that thing long ways so that it made 1-1.5 inch steaks/slabs.

Then I would season and marinate according to the post 2 above here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/what-cut-is-this.297830/post-2088636

To sum it up, you season with Mexican/Tex-Mex seasoning, minus the salt, and then marinate in REAL pineapple juice (dole in the big can or 6 pack of little cans is always real avoid anythingi that says "from concentrate") and soy sauce for as long as it takes to get tender. Pineapple is known to tenderize meat like crazy so if i was doing run of the mill skirt steak (freak tough as hell) I would marinate for like 3 days or more. With a round or chuck steak or anything better I would marinate 24 hours.
Grill on really hot grill like over 500F I (go 600F) to medium rare, and baste liberally with the same marinade at the end, pull, and cut cross grain and u have Fajitas! Don't cut and you have Asada steaks.
For Asada I would personally stick to Flank Steak (flat iron) or better (sirlions, boneless NY strips, etc.).

Let me know if this makes sense. It really is this simple :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky