What cut is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

UnVegan

Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Hi all, the wife had no luck shopping for brisket but was sold this cut of meat, and was told it’s basically “brisket’s little brother”. She thought the salesman might have called it top round, but after looking at google we’re not so sure. Any ideas what it is?

Also: suggestions on how to smoke/cook it (including rubs, temp, how long etc)?

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• 8879729C-7440-47FF-A5EE-555F92174CFB.jpeg
    8879729C-7440-47FF-A5EE-555F92174CFB.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 100
  • C29181DC-ED75-4277-89D5-F4AF17A67C62.jpeg
    C29181DC-ED75-4277-89D5-F4AF17A67C62.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 85BB0FE1-2766-4500-8EA0-040836963E89.jpeg
    85BB0FE1-2766-4500-8EA0-040836963E89.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
9.99/lb for chuck clod seems a bit high. I know supply/demand raises prices, but that's usually one of the budget cuts. Also under 4lb makes me think eye of round, though still pricey for that cut.
Good catch, I just looked at the shape , definitely too small for clod.

9.99/lb for chuck clod seems a bit high. I know supply/demand raises prices, but that's usually one of the budget cuts. Also under 4lb makes me think eye of round, though still pricey for that cut.
Interesting. How should I cook eye of round?

Frankly I would call them up to ask exactly whatit is they sold you and tell them to exchange or be able to return it. Eye round is good for making a smoked Italian Roast Beef . It will not cook and render the same as a brisket though.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I wouldn't cook anything for $10/# like brisket. I would find out what it is...maybe a whole strip loin? hard to tell from the pic for me but I would lean to one of the higher-end cuts at least at that price would be here. good luck and come back and tell us what it is pls!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks everyone for your help. According to the shop we bought it from its Eye Round. After a bit of research that doesn’t sound like it’s going to be melt-in-your-mouth like brisket, which is disappointing. We could SV for 32 hours but are probably going to smoke at the lowest temp my treager can do for 2-3 hours to get a nice smoke flavor through it, and then put it in a crock pot overnight to turn into a casserole or something like that. Should be quite moist and tasty. Any objections or alternate suggestions from the experts?

It looks like eye of round to me - what I use for jerky meat.
When I get it in a cryo-pack at Sam's it costs about $2.79/lbs in normal times.

No help on smoking it...sorry.

Yep!
And brisket used to be one of the budget cuts years ago too.
Man, how times have changed.

Reactions: S-met
Cut a slice and Pan sear it to test tenderness. At that price, it should be more Steak Like Tender than Round, Chuck or Brisket! Then you can decide to go Med/Rare or Probe Tender...JJ

What gets me is that there is no description of the item on the tag and the person that waited on you didn't tell or explain what it was that you were getting. Shame on them, a meat markets reputation is solely based on its products and customer service. I would not be darkening the doors of that place again...
28 years in the meat business, just sayin'.

Reactions: chopsaw
I couldn’t agree more! Very unimpressed by the whole experience! The meat is thankfully delicious, whatever the hell it is!

I couldn’t agree more! Very unimpressed by the whole experience! The meat is thankfully delicious, whatever the hell it is!

Hi there and welcome!

Man I would turn that into a smoked roast beef if I was going to attempt to smoke it.

Honestly I would cut steaks out of it and marinate those steaks to make beef fajitas. This is what I do with my Venison top round along with the eye and marinated medium rare grilled fajitas come out amazingly with such lean meat so I know your should come out great as well.

If u want an amazing fajita marinade that will tenderize the meat for grilling let me know I have a great and simple one :)

Yep!
And brisket used to be one of the budget cuts years ago too.
Man, how times have changed.
No joke! And don't get me started on porkbelly price. I can easily drop a Dennis Leary worthy rant on that without hesitation. I don't like that budget cuts fetch a premium. Recently saw pre-covid prices for skirt steak at same price as ribeye.

If u want an amazing fajita marinade that will tenderize the meat for grilling let me know I have a great and simple one :)

I'm interested. Been using the same recipe 30 years but, always up to try something different. Thanks...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky