Brisket Disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

valanze

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 30, 2015
Central Valley in California
So I have been smoking for many years and only tackeled a brisket twice including this time. I am completely unsure how to handle what I consider an unmitigated disaster. The wife and I decided for Christmas dinner lets be different we wanted brisket. So we headed to walmart dropped a little over a hundred for....aww crap I do not remember the poundage 10+ I believe.

I just finished trimming the fat and I would say that was at least 4lbs of pure fat. the problem is when I was trimming it and working on the connection between the round and flat it was mostly just fat. I ended up cutting the round off. When I surveyed the disaster of a brisket the flat is less than .5 inches thick. The round is maybe an 1.5inch and its thickest point but then just goes to paper thing towards the end.

So I am thinking a combination of terrible trimming skills and a horrible meat selection. I had planned to cook this low and slow at 220 at least 10+ hours. Now I have no idea WTF to do or how to even consider cooking this. Any advice? I would include pics but I already seasoned it and wrapped it in foil in my fridge. I know pics would of helped sorry they are missing I was just so frustrated with the whole experience.

help.....

So I have been smoking for many years and only tackeled a brisket twice including this time. I am completely unsure how to handle what I consider an unmitigated disaster. The wife and I decided for Christmas dinner lets be different we wanted brisket. So we headed to walmart dropped a little over a hundred for....aww crap I do not remember the poundage 10+ I believe.

I just finished trimming the fat and I would say that was at least 4lbs of pure fat. the problem is when I was trimming it and working on the connection between the round and flat it was mostly just fat. I ended up cutting the round off. When I surveyed the disaster of a brisket the flat is less than .5 inches thick. The round is maybe an 1.5inch and its thickest point but then just goes to paper thing towards the end.

So I am thinking a combination of terrible trimming skills and a horrible meat selection. I had planned to cook this low and slow at 220 at least 10+ hours. Now I have no idea WTF to do or how to even consider cooking this. Any advice? I would include pics but I already seasoned it and wrapped it in foil in my fridge. I know pics would of helped sorry they are missing I was just so frustrated with the whole experience.

help.....
You will be fine. You can either roll it or just go with it as is. It will cook a bit quicker and I highly recommend injecting it if possible. Finish in a covered foil pan with some bone broth at the stall. When it is probe tender, pull it and wrap in blankets, toss in a cooler for 2 hours or more. Slice as you eat/serve. Worst case you can chop it and blend with your favorite sauce and make some chopped sandwich's.
Don't be frustrated, we have all made (and in my case continue) to mistakes.

- Jason

Sure is, and works well!

20200718_161100.jpg

20200718_200855.jpg

This is just the point, round part as you called it... the flat had been separated, cured it and made beef bacon out of thar part.

Ryan

You all are awesome my wife is picking up some twine so will roll it and smoke it. I had initially planned on a 14 hour smoke. I assume this will cook much faster. Any estimates? Just want to make sure it’s ready for dinner. 8 hours maybe? I will use a digital thermometer for the smoke so it’s done when it hits the temp just looking for estimates on how long you think it would take?

You all are awesome my wife is picking up some twine so will roll it and smoke it. I had initially planned on a 14 hour smoke. I assume this will cook much faster. Any estimates? Just want to make sure it’s ready for dinner. 8 hours maybe? I will use a digital thermometer for the smoke so it’s done when it hits the temp just looking for estimates on how long you think it would take?
Hehe! He said roll it and smoke it.
Plan on 10-12 hope it's done in 6-8. Nice long hold only helps!

Get an early start , and don't be afraid to use the oven to finish it .
Like Jim says , plan on 12 hours . Don't stress over it .
I thought I gave an update on this. it came out great. Rolling it was an amazing recommendation and I am very greatful. My family enjoyed it very much. Thanks for all the help every one of you are the best!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky