What can I buy from the local grocer that’s good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreddieKU

Original poster
Apr 8, 2020
I’m smoking a pork shoulder all day tomorrow and plan on it going past dinner time. So, I decided I’d smoke something I haven’t tried before and do some kind of sausages or kielbasa or bratwurst or basically anything like that. The meat department at my local grocer is actually pretty good but it’s still a grocery and not a dedicated meat market.

What do you guys recommend as a crowd hit kind of thing since I’ll be feeding other people? Also, a time and temp quickly would help since I’ve never smoked anything like this.

Thanks for any help. Picking it up in the morning. I tried to search but there’s just so much information it’s hard to know what I can get at the grocery versus making sausage and what not.

Any reason you can't get that pork ready on time? Nothing you can eat is as good as good pulled pork.
Put that shoulder on now, smoke it till the bark is good and dark, and then put it in the oven until it hits 200F and feed the people.
Unless they aren't your favorite people. Only my favorite people get some of my pulled pork lol

My favorite app is bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with seasoned cream cheese and cheddar & they're easy. Another easy 1 is chunks of belly, shoulder, or country style ribs dusted in rub and made into burnt ends. Or both! Have fun.

Sorry, I wrote this right before I went to bed so wasn’t very clear haha. Long day.

I wanted to try smoking sausage as I’ve never done it and am smoking a shoulder uncovered so knew it wouldn’t be ready. That’s fine as I’ll eat it tomorrow and beyond but today I wanted to try sausage. There are a lot of sausages out there and so I literally didn’t know what ones to buy to smoke and eat.

Thanks for all the advice anyway!

Ah, good clarification.

Just about anything you serve is going to be delicious. When serving company, I usually stick to the uncooked sausages at my grocer. Any of the brats or Italian sausages work fine. Depending on your smoker temp, throw them in the smoker a couple hours before you need them. (I'm assuming you're going to smoke them while the pork is smoking). Be sure to check their IT is 165F before taking them off the smoker. Or, if pushed for time and they aren't quite there, a quick zap in the microwave can finish them off, but check the internal temp.

Reactions: FreddieKU
^what no boundaries said. Brats and Italian sausages are great. If your grocery has a meat counter, look there as well. Fresh andouille is great. One that I like to do, I’ve dubbed it the Cajun sausage roll, is to mince up onion, celery, and bell pepper and then roll it up in a flattened pound of mild sausage. Quite tasty and super easy.

Reactions: FreddieKU
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up with a handful of different flavors of brats and sausages each. Also one country style rib lol. I’m gonna throw them all on at 250 and go to IT of 165 on the sausages/brats and 198-203 same as butt for the country style.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky