Feeding hungry folks on both sides of the border, Thank you to those involved

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Feeding hungry folks on both sides of the border, Thank you to those involved. You know who you are and A very beautiful thing is done now.

This is a good thing and glad I fell into this and I was helped by some very good folks on here. As you know I won the last Throwdown. And the story is already on here . So not telling that again other than it helped or is about to some folks that can really use it in a Small church in Texas. That does this and I am glad I could help out in some way.
Mainly because my prize could not cross the border.

Now a few days after that all came about, I received an email from a member to tell me about what a few ( 4 that I know about, and there may be more ) got together and did for me, and I was shocked and really did not know what to say about what they did. I stepped away for a bit to take this in, and try to understand why.

They explained and I got it , and will say again a very big thank you. And it will be put to some very good smoking.
They found a place very close to me that has a Web Meat selling site, that sells " USDA Prime Beef " and " Brant Lake Wagyu "
And they gave me a Very nice Gift card for this place. And it all looks great on their web site.

So because of this and how I felt about what they did and it took me a bit to accept this great gift, I was going to donate part of it to the same idea here in my area.
Now don't get me wrong I want to try some of this meat that I did not think I could get around here or would never buy myself. But when I saw the pricing it really would not be the kind of help I wanted to do for this foundation. I wanted it to help for a few meals over a few days at their needs.
So I went to Local store and picked up enough for maybe a week or so of meals.

I told them the story about how it all came about , and then the tears started to flow . I gave them the option of taking part of the gift card worth of meat from the Web store or I could just go and Pick up a bunch of meat. She was more then happy for the lesser quality and bigger quantity.

Here is what I picked up today on my way in town from work

DSC_8691.JPG DSC_8692.JPG

This is at their kitchen today

DSC_8694.JPG

They were very happy, 10 Boneless Pork loins, 3 big Hams and 2 - 10 pound single grind ground beef. Does not seem like a lot , but much more than the other way.

They wanted to take my picture with the cook and the meat, because it helps them to get more donations if they can post it on their site. I declined my picture and my name but said I understand about the advertising of donations that it would help, so I said

Do this donation in " Memory of My Brother in-law Gary Shand " who passed away last month. And they said it would be on site very soon.

The place is called " Souls Harbour Rescue Mission "

These folks do food / meals at all the locations , a meal , no questions asked . Everyone has a story , some are worse than others. These people feed as many as they can each day with a smile and an ear. And no questions asked.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sanctuary. Safe House. Storm Shelter. Place of Peace. Rescue Mission. Souls Harbour.​

It’s a home for the homeless in Halifax, Bridgewater & Truro. It’s hope for the hopeless. It’s food for the stomach and food for the soul. It’s friendship for the lonely. It’s Souls Harbour Rescue Mission.
Souls Harbour rescues people from poverty, addiction and despair, by offering emergency help, such as food and clothing, life-changing programs, and a message of hope.
If you haven’t a friend in the world, you can find one here, where we strive to offer welcome, hope, and dignity to each of our guests.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So That is what I did on this side of the border and it makes me feel a lot better about the gift that was given to me .
From the very kind and caring people on this site , I am just blown away at how all you people help others and the big thing, is how big the hearts are for other people we only know from texts or conversations , and maybe never ever meet .

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! I hope you are ok with what I did because of your generosity.

I will leave it up to the folks that did this to chime in if you want , but that is up to you.
You know what I think of you all.
And you are still on my Christmas list.

Now many hungry people will have a warm meal to help with their day.

Thank you for your time

David and Mona Kaulback

The story that keeps giving.. AWESOME stuff by everyone involved !

Thanks Mike for the love and the comment
Thanks for reading all of that. I get carried away sometimes when I don't think I explaining well. lol

Yes it is , and it does , and that's a great thing

David

Last edited:
Feeding hungry folks on both sides of the border, Thank you to those involved. You know who you are and A very beautiful thing is done now.

This is a good thing and glad I fell into this and I was helped by some very good folks on here. As you know I won the last Throwdown. And the story is already on here . So not telling that again other than it helped or is about to some folks that can really use it in a Small church in Texas. That does this and I am glad I could help out in some way.
Mainly because my prize could not cross the border.

Now a few days after that all came about, I received an email from a member to tell me about what a few ( 4 that I know about, and there may be more ) got together and did for me, and I was shocked and really did not know what to say about what they did. I stepped away for a bit to take this in, and try to understand why.

They explained and I got it , and will say again a very big thank you. And it will be put to some very good smoking.
They found a place very close to me that has a Web Meat selling site, that sells " USDA Prime Beef " and " Brant Lake Wagyu "
And they gave me a Very nice Gift card for this place. And it all looks great on their web site.

So because of this and how I felt about what they did and it took me a bit to accept this great gift, I was going to donate part of it to the same idea here in my area.
Now don't get me wrong I want to try some of this meat that I did not think I could get around here or would never buy myself. But when I saw the pricing it really would not be the kind of help I wanted to do for this foundation. I wanted it to help for a few meals over a few days at their needs.
So I went to Local store and picked up enough for maybe a week or so of meals.

I told them the story about how it all came about , and then the tears started to flow . I gave them the option of taking part of the gift card worth of meat from the Web store or I could just go and Pick up a bunch of meat. She was more then happy for the lesser quality and bigger quantity.

Here is what I picked up today on my way in town from work

View attachment 678661 View attachment 678662

This is at their kitchen today

View attachment 678664

They were very happy, 10 Boneless Pork loins, 3 big Hams and 2 - 10 pound single grind ground beef. Does not seem like a lot , but much more than the other way.

They wanted to take my picture with the cook and the meat, because it helps them to get more donations if they can post it on their site. I declined my picture and my name but said I understand about the advertising of donations that it would help, so I said

Do this donation in " Memory of My Brother in-law Gary Shand " who passed away last month. And they said it would be on site very soon.

The place is called " Souls Harbour Rescue Mission "

These folks do food / meals at all the locations , a meal , no questions asked . Everyone has a story , some are worse than others. These people feed as many as they can each day with a smile and an ear. And no questions asked.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sanctuary. Safe House. Storm Shelter. Place of Peace. Rescue Mission. Souls Harbour.​

It’s a home for the homeless in Halifax, Bridgewater & Truro. It’s hope for the hopeless. It’s food for the stomach and food for the soul. It’s friendship for the lonely. It’s Souls Harbour Rescue Mission.
Souls Harbour rescues people from poverty, addiction and despair, by offering emergency help, such as food and clothing, life-changing programs, and a message of hope.
If you haven’t a friend in the world, you can find one here, where we strive to offer welcome, hope, and dignity to each of our guests.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So That is what I did on this side of the border and it makes me feel a lot better about the gift that was given to me .
From the very kind and caring people on this site , I am just blown away at how all you people help others and the big thing, is how big the hearts are for other people we only know from texts or conversations , and maybe never ever meet .

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! I hope you are ok with what I did because of your generosity.

I will leave it up to the folks that did this to chime in if you want , but that is up to you.
You know what I think of you all.
And you are still on my Christmas list.

Now many hungry people will have a warm meal to help with their day.

Thank you for your time

David and Mona Kaulback
That is amazing of you!

Truly feeding a hungry person goes far beyond what many people can understand. What a wonderful post and action :D

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I think I've told you before that Karma aint always a bad thing. The good you do comes back around to you eventually. The passing on of your TD win to Tracys church due to circumstances led to the gift card being sent your way (you know, cause your a great guy and all), and now you share that blessing with a wonderful organization like that. Man keep spreading that good Karma around.

Jim

You're a very unselfish man David with a huge heart of gold. To help those that are down on their luck. Well it's just amazing, and to do it in the name of your BIL. WoW.

Big points for sure
Chris

I think I've told you before that Karma aint always a bad thing. The good you do comes back around to you eventually. The passing on of your TD win to Tracys church due to circumstances led to the gift card being sent your way (you know, cause your a great guy and all), and now you share that blessing with a wonderful organization like that. Man keep spreading that good Karma around.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment.

Love what you say, and Karma for all involved for sure. It is a good cause and organization .
They even told me to back some day for a meal, I was in there Friday when was setting this up.
I offered them the gift card or cash or for me to pick it up for them. They wanted me to pick up
and kind of surprise her. With a couple hints on pork and maybe a turkey.
The turkey they did not get, $ 85 for an old ( as in date ) bird

But she was very happy with the choice of meat.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
You're a very unselfish man David with a huge heart of gold. To help those that are down on their luck. Well it's just amazing, and to do it in the name of your BIL. WoW.

Big points for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the love and the comment

Nice of you to say, but I just try to be kind and think , I don't know what others are going through. If I can help I will. If I can't then a prayer goes out to them.

They enlightened me a little more while I was there . They say warm meal at lunch just drop in no questions asked. Some of the people work that go there, but the bills are just getting them behind, and maybe just can't get that meal sometimes when the bills pile up. And lots working and living in their cars or what ever. The stories just keep going.
Glad I could do something

And I don't want the picture and name thing, so did it in BIL honor, he was a good guy . Least I could do.

David

This is so cool David… good on you for helping those in need! Just AWESOME!

The world could definitely use more folks like yourself! You are top notch man!

And I’ll bet your BIL is smiling down on you!

This is so cool David… good on you for helping those in need! Just AWESOME!

The world could definitely use more folks like yourself! You are top notch man!

And I’ll bet your BIL is smiling down on you!
Thanks Justin for the love and the comment

It was a group effort and once it started rolling it was good to keep it going.
This site is full of giving folks, glad to be pert, and yes I hope Gary is smiling down

David

Acts of kindness like this is why you are one of the pillars of this community, David.
And to those involved on this side of the border, same goes to you folks as well. Thank you guys for being who you are.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky