Meat Grinder clogging up ..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
I have a size 32 Enterprise grinder connected to a gear reducer powered by a electric motor. A couple years ago I purchased new grinder plates (all sizes) and 2 knifes. I clean my venison up pretty darn good before grinding it, however last season, and just now, it cloggs up with sinew after the first couple of handfulls of meat. I bought the plate/blade sharpener stone from Sausage Maker so to keep everything sharp however today it clogged up again with pretty clean meat that was almost frozen. I try to grind when the meat is almost frozen. What the heck is going on guys??? Is the plate and blade shot , do I need to replace them?? Even cloggs up on my largest plate that is 3/4" holes. I am sure someone has had this issue before. Let me here from ya. ! Im thinking it has to be the plate and blade. Am I putting too big of pieces in the grinder????should i cut the meat into smaller chunks? help please.

thanks in advance,

HT

Last edited:
HT, I always match a knife with a plate and keep them together forever. It sounds like the knife and plate aren't in full contact with one another? Another thought is maybe your thrust washer between the auger and the body is worn preventing the knife/plate from staying tight to one another ? Just my thoughts .

I found on my grinders I have to use the tool to tighten the head or it will wrap up and make jam before stopping plum up, the blade was sharp and plates not worn just not holding together tite enough to cut properly.

Reactions: chopsaw
The 2 post above are my first thoughts . Sounds like some slop in the auger , gap between the blade and plate . Not cutting the meat , and it won't pass through the plate .

I WONDER...

Depending on how far away the end of the auger (gear end) is from the casing/housing ... Maybe put a flat washer (or two, or something thicker) down in the auger hole first ... Just enough to move the auger forward just a %@#! hair ... thinking it would make for a tight marriage between the blade and plate ...

I will check for all the above. I have some extra thrust washers if the auger needs to move forward. I can tighten the plate ring till the auger wont move, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will sharpen blade and plate today and try it again. Going to try and feed smaller chunks of meat also. Also that auger may have some slop in it that I am not aware of so I will check that too. Will report back later.

HT

Reactions: chopsaw
I have a couple of hand grinders similar to Enterprise. Not sure the brand as they are at home.
One of them the tip of the auger (pilot shaft) that goes through the plate has quite a bit of wear as well as the hole in the plate. I have to be patient to get a decent grind.
Perhaps either your pilot shaft or the drive side has enough wear that it walks the blade away from the plate enough o get a smear of the sinew.

I’m just thinking out loud here and not familiar with your grinder so take it as thoughts. I used cheap hand cranks a good while and had same probs then bought 100$ electric model from the farm store….some of the same probs but my shoulders didn’t hurt lol. Then I bought a Weston 12 for 600$ and it grinds anything. I clean my deer up good too, but I did some tests and the Weston will grind shank meat. I’ve processed 60+ of my own deer in the last 20 years or so…..

I like the ideas above tho…..the blade has to be perfect with the plate.

Yep, I agree with chop....sounds like slop in the auger. I would check the bushing and replace it it is compressed slightly.

I also agree with what was said about matched sets of plates and knives. Also, probably a good idea to touch up the plates and knives...sharpen them up for a clean cut.

It’s the tension at the plate and knife. Focus on that. The knife is not tight enough to the plate under load. Remember that “opposite and equal reaction “? The meat running through the auger going forward makes the auger go backwards, which creates a slack or very slight gap between the knife and plate. 1/64th is a game changer in gap.

It’s the tension at the plate and knife. Focus on that. The knife is not tight enough to the plate under load. Remember that “opposite and equal reaction “? The meat running through the auger going forward makes the auger go backwards, which creates a slack or very slight gap between the knife and plate. 1/64th is a game changer in gap.
thats what it was... tried again this evening and the thrust washe crammed in the back of the grinder and I had to stop BC it was smearing everything. Had to destroty the thrust washer to get the auger out of the grinder.. What a pain in the *** i think its just worn out and old. I have ressurected it many times.. I am done for tonight, gonna borrow a lem22 from a friend to finish out tomorrow...maybe I can snag a black friday deal on a 22 or 32 somewhere. All my stuff is just like me...old and worn out...thanks guys for all of your help...you were spot on with your findings.

HT - done for tonight except for a wiskey to clense my palate.

This brings up a good point....
I always keep spare nylon washers on hand just for this reason. If/when you get your new grinder, go ahead and buy a couple extra washers to have on hand....just in case you need a new one when you have a lot of meat to grind.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky