Treat It Like A Chuck????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2019
Grand Junction, Colorado
I bought a couple of beef bottom round roasts on sale (BOGO), and was wondering if they're smoked like a Chuck?

Last edited:
Bottom round IMO is better used for thin slicing since it is such a tough piece of meat. Great for jerky and deli style roast beef. My vote would be to inject with whatever you would like and coat with montreal steak seasoning. Smoke it low and slow(225) to 125-130 and pull it off. Slice it super thin(slicer if you have one) and have one hell of a French dip sandwich! I usually use eye of round but bottom will do just fine!

Reactions: tallbm and drdon
Bottom round IMO is better used for thin slicing since it is such a tough piece of meat. Great for jerky and deli style roast beef. My vote would be to inject with whatever you would like and coat with montreal steak seasoning. Smoke it low and slow(225) to 125-130 and pull it off. Slice it super thin(slicer if you have one) and have one hell of a French dip sandwich! I usually use eye of round but bottom will do just fine!

It doesn't pull well?

I don't have a slicer.

No problem if you don't have a slicer. Just let it rest and then slice as thin as you can get it with a knife.

Bottom round is so lean I don't think you will get what you are going for in trying to get pulled beef. Would be a very long slow smoke in order to get it pulled apart and then might be dry. Not to say it cant be done but chuck is a better application for that.

Smokin, and Chop are telling the truth. I can guarantee you if you try it, you'll never buy store bought sliced roast beef again.

Reactions: chopsaw
20190826_115210.jpg

I think I would still go med rare , cool and slice . Staying with your question .

However , I would make pastrami out of that .

Are you planning on taking that to a higher temp to pull, or cooking to medium rare for slicing?

As mentioned earlier, round has a fair amount of connective tissue, but does not have a lot of fat, so it's best to either cook to medium/ medium-rare and slice thin against the grain, or braise.

Everyone up above is right. Don’t go all in like a chuck. I smoke bottom round to 125, no more than 135 tops. Cuts like that are great for pit beef. Your cut looks beautiful...be sure to post pics!

I thought that I could do low and slow. Did a13 hour smoke at 225. The heart of the roast was somewhat moist and tender.

Attachments

• 20190827_105609.jpg
    20190827_105609.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: drdon
That's kind of what I figured would happen. Just too lean a piece of meat to smoke like that. Next time take it to 125-130 and then slice it super thin for sandwiches!

Reactions: drdon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky