Summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tayous

Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
New here and wanted to find out what is a good way to make Summer sausage without spending a lot on the stuffer!

I'm wanting to do a jalapeno cheddar summer sausage for my first time and wanted to know should I do an 80 /20 mix or something with more fat? Should I use a mic my first time or go with my own recipe? I'm looking to smoke this maybe also try it in the oven when being lazy.

Any advice would help! If this does come out good I'd like to spend some money on a stuffer! Right now all I have is a jerky gun! Also if you pick that I should start with a pre-made mix tell me from who! Thanks!

New here and wanted to find out what is a good way to make Summer sausage without spending a lot on the stuffer!

I'm wanting to do a jalapeno cheddar summer sausage for my first time and wanted to know should I do an 80 /20 mix or something with more fat? Should I use a mic my first time or go with my own recipe? I'm looking to smoke this maybe also try it in the oven when being lazy.

Any advice would help! If this does come out good I'd like to spend some money on a stuffer! Right now all I have is a jerky gun! Also if you pick that I should start with a pre-made mix tell me from who! Thanks!
I have seen google mention rolling the sausage up in saran wrap and chilling it a bit to hold its shape and then low and slow in the oven or on a smoker.
I am getting my feet wet with all this myself so I will be watching what others suggest!!
So far i have done 3 batches of snack sticks and although they were edible and did not get thrown away I have not been impressed with pre mixed seasoning. Perhaps I have not found the right one!
AC Legg was weak in flavor and LEM was so so for my taste buds!

Welcome to the forum! I would use a spice kit first to get the hang of it. It will come with instructions on how to make it. In the past for summer sausage If I got too lazy to break out the stuffer. I would pack it by hand. Just make sure it is tight and has no voids. Just roll the meat in balls that are slightly smaller then the casing. And push then down into the casing.

There's a lightly used LEM mighty bite 5 lb stuffer for sale on Ebay for a good price right now that I would but if I didn't already have a stuffer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky