Summer sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forever_young74

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 9, 2024
I’m kind of new to the summer sausage making. I’m guna start with a batch using A.C. Legg - Summer Sausage Seasoning. After I stuff the sausage can I or do I let it sit overnight in the fridge, or do I need to smoke it right away ?

Thanks
Bert

I’m kind of new to the summer sausage making. I’m guna start with a batch using A.C. Legg - Summer Sausage Seasoning. After I stuff the sausage can I or do I let it sit overnight in the fridge, or do I need to smoke it right away ?

Thanks
Bert
Make sure you add the cure to the mix.

That kit has a separate cure packet with it . As said above , make sure you mix it in at the correct rate . Are you doing the whole 25 pounds ?
That kit also has sodium erythorbate in it that speeds the cure effect .
Holding overnight is a good thing to let it all blend . I always do .

Reactions: forever_young74
That kit has a separate cure packet with it . As said above , make sure you mix it in at the correct rate . Are you doing the whole 25 pounds ?
That kit also has sodium erythorbate in it that speeds the cure effect .
Holding overnight is a good thing to let it all blend . I always do .
I probably won’t do the whole 25 pounds. I’ll have to weigh it out and divide accordingly.

Reactions: crazymoon
1 Tbsp mix per pound of meat. I dont make a patty to fry up but you can, if its what you like then stay with the 1 T if not add more to the meat mix, easier to add then to take out.

I probably won’t do the whole 25 pounds. I’ll have to weigh it out and divide accordingly.
Good approach in post 7 . I don't normally do math if I can help it , but I ended up at 20 g per pound . In my house that's 1 TBL + 2 tsp . Suited to my taste .
I have blend 114 .
Like said above easier to add . I just post this as a reference point .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky