Summer Sausage too wet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GatorAGR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 30, 2024
Carmel, IN
Buddy just gave me some deer summer sausage that he had processed. It's fairly wet. Been in freezer for a couple months. Any thoughts on what the cause would be and a way to dry it out a bit?

Buddy just gave me some deer summer sausage that he had processed. It's fairly wet. Been in freezer for a couple months. Any thoughts on what the cause would be and a way to dry it out a bit?
Put in a colander and let it drain out...cover it.
Or vac seal it to EQ the liquid.

It's not wet enough that liquid is running out. Just more moist than I'd like. Wondering if I could just put it in smoker at low temp to dry it out??

It's not wet enough that liquid is running out. Just more moist than I'd like. Wondering if I could just put it in smoker at low temp to dry it out??
Let it hang room temp for couple days.
IMG_7631.JPG

If by "too wet" you mean sorta mushy/loose I would say it was pulled too early off the smoker and too low IT. I like mine firm and you need to get it up around 150F for that. I would vac seal and SV 153T for like 2hrs. Should be much more firmer and more like from store.

Reactions: GatorAGR
Been in freezer for a couple months.
It's never the same when it comes out , as it was when it went in .

Hang at room temp as suggested ( put a towel under it ) or in a paper bag / pink paper and fridge for a while . I actually store mine in the fridge in paper after I thaw .

Reactions: GatorAGR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky