Smoked Turkey Skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny773

Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Just a quick question, is there a way to smoke a turkey without getting the deep dark (dry skin). If i were to baste the turkey with butter and paprika could I prevent the whole dry leather dry split skin?

I baste mine with Cajun butter throughout the smoke. End up with a bright red tint to the skin
20200328_181704.jpg

These are chickens but I do turkey the same way

Just a quick question, is there a way to smoke a turkey without getting the deep dark (dry skin). If i were to baste the turkey with butter and paprika could I prevent the whole dry leather dry split skin?

Hi there and welcome!
Are you wanting less dark than this?
1UGnH06.jpg

I saw on a cooking show once that they had a trick to get "golden brown" skin.
They covered the pan and turkey with a cheese cloth the entire cook in the oven. I would think the same thing would work in a smoker and would let smoke in :)

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky