Keeping Turkey Skin Intact

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tide9220

Original poster
Oct 27, 2023
Each time I smoke a turkey, the skin pulls away from the meat. I've tried putting toothpicks through the skin and into the meat, but it still pulls away. I've considered not putting seasoning under the skin, but I think the turkey would not taste as good. Anyone else have this problem or a solution to fix it?
Thanks.

Welcome Home, I cant keep it intact, I would be afraid of tooth picks breaking off and leaving a splinter, I normally smoke heavy for about 2 hours then it goes into a cooking bag into the oven, it wont pull back like a full run on my smoker, also it wont dry out, poultry takes smoke pretty well imo. try it some time and see how you like it.

Maybe try injecting instead of putting under skin so your not pulling the skin away from meat. Not sure if this will solve problem or not.

Reactions: chopsaw
I use the creole butter skin still shrinks lol

Welcome Home, I cant keep it intact, I would be afraid of tooth picks breaking off and leaving a splinter, I normally smoke heavy for about 2 hours then it goes into a cooking bag into the oven, it wont pull back like a full run on my smoker, also it wont dry out, poultry takes smoke pretty well imo. try it some time and see how you like it.
I've been bagging it for about 40 years now. never even considered smoking a turkey.

Thanks. I may try that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky