Smoking my first turkey...my plan... Can I get some thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm trying to smoke my first turkey for Thanksgiving (I know, I know...bad idea to make my first attempt on a holiday...). I should say that I'm new to smoking turkey, but not new to smoking other meats. So...hopefully experience with other stuff counts for somethin... :emoji_upside_down:

My biggest concern is that I've been staring at a bunch of different cooking methods and recipes now, and so I'm wondering if my plan is workable or if I'm overdoing (or underdoing) some things.

Now...here's my plan...

- Dry brine with kosher salt + cajun seasoning for about 24-36 hours.
- Season the bird (should I rub with butter or oil?)
- Inject with Tony Chachere's injectable cajun butter marinade (my grandfather always uses this when he fries turkeys and the flavor is amazing)

Creole-Style-Butter-17oz-website.jpg

- Mount bird on rack
I bought one of these racks

71WNkHRH32L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm planning to put coca cola, onions, celery, and cajun seasoning in there.

- Smoke at 275 until around 157-158 in my MB800. It'll just be an open smoke as I'm not planning to foil anything (going for crispy skin).
- Pull it, rest it (for 30 minutes), and carve. :-)

Now...what am I missing? Thoughts?

Reactions: joefrommi
I think you want about 165 IT for breast and 170-175 IT for legs and thighs.
If breast is getting done sooner than legs/thighs you can put foil on the breast to slow it's cooking.

How big of a bird? Probably will not get crispy skin at 275. I would spatchcock the bird and skip this:
I'd be cautious if the Cajun seasoning is salty at the end since you already dry brined.

Take some pictures and let us know how it turns out.

I think you want about 165 IT for breast and 170-175 IT for legs and thighs.
If breast is getting done sooner than legs/thighs you can put foil on the breast to slow it's cooking.
From what I'd been seeing, pulling at around 157-160 will get it to 165 with the carry-over heat. At least that was my understanding based on what I was reading/watching.

How big of a bird?
12lb.

From what I'd been seeing, pulling at around 157-160 will get it to 165 with the carry-over heat. At least that was my understanding based on what I was reading/watching.
If you wrap in foil and towels, and put in a cooler, possibly. 5 to 8 degrees is a lot IMO.
Just leaving it on counter it will cool fast and won't increase much if any.

I'm with B BigW. If the turkey is pre-injected, then you injecting it may make it too salty.
See what percent of salt is in the injections and make a judgement call.
Also, stuffing things in that turkey cannon may not be a good idea.
I used to have one of those as well as beer can chicken racks.
From what I've read online, putting things like that in the cavity reduce the heat that gets to the inside of the bird.
I just spatchcock anymore.
It doesn't have the presentation aspect that a whole bird has, but you can replace that with the platter of cut turkey for presentation.
Just my 2 cents...

My thoughts 1) no need to both brine and inject. That injection is fantastic. Just inject the night before. Inject the heck out of the breast especially 2) Don't stuff anything inside the bird and do spatchcock it. It's much easier than it looks. Makes a huge difference in even cooking. 3) I would dry it off real good after injecting and dust it with a light dusting of baking powder. Leave uncovered in the frig overnight. It will dry that skin out good. 4) before throwing it on get some rub under the skin, spray the outside with olive oil and daut with seasoning 5) I would do 275 for a couple hours and then crank it to 300 for crispy skin. Pull when the breast hits 155-160 leering carryover take it to 165.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to smoke my first turkey for Thanksgiving (I know, I know...bad idea to make my first attempt on a holiday...). I should say that I'm new to smoking turkey, but not new to smoking other meats. So...hopefully experience with other stuff counts for somethin... :emoji_upside_down:

My biggest concern is that I've been staring at a bunch of different cooking methods and recipes now, and so I'm wondering if my plan is workable or if I'm overdoing (or underdoing) some things.

Now...here's my plan...

- Dry brine with kosher salt + cajun seasoning for about 24-36 hours.
- Season the bird (should I rub with butter or oil?)
- Inject with Tony Chachere's injectable cajun butter marinade (my grandfather always uses this when he fries turkeys and the flavor is amazing)

View attachment 681554

- Mount bird on rack
I bought one of these racks

View attachment 681551

- Smoke at 275 until around 157-158 in my MB800. It'll just be an open smoke as I'm not planning to foil anything (going for crispy skin).
- Pull it, rest it (for 30 minutes), and carve. :-)

Now...what am I missing? Thoughts?

I'd like to suggest a few tweaks to avoid some issues.

1. No need to salt and cajun seasoning on the outside. Just go with Cajun seasoning and treat it like it is salt, because it's mostly salt. More salt will be too much PLUS you are injecting a lot of salt as well.
I wouldn't worry about getting cajun seasoning under the skin either as you will be injecting.
No need for oil or butter, you are injecting butter and the skin renders oil. You have it covered in this case :D

2. You are doing a 12 pound bird, that whole bottle is too much injectable butter marinade for a 12 pound bird. I think half the bottle, mostly in the breast would do for a whole 12 pound bird. I use a whole bottle on like 24+ pound birds along with cajun seasoning on skin and in the cavity.

3. No need to use any cola, liquid, or seasoning in side that rack. It will just be more cleanup for almost no bang for the buck :D

4. Smoke/cook at 325F smoker temp or above if you want crispy skin. Have the smoker already pre heated. This bird will cook fast! (2 hours or less I'm thinking) If you don't cook at a hot enough temp the skin will be like leather and not edible. Hopefully at a constant 325F or higher you can get crispy skin but shooting for edible skin with the fast cook time on this smaller bird.

5. Don't let the breast Internal Temp (IT) get over 165F. You can pull beforehand and the temp will still rise a few degrees. With the injection though you should be ok if it happens to carry over a little, but flavor, texture, and juiciness of the breast drastically declines as you go over 165F.

Keep this things in mind and your bird will be a success! :D

Thanks so much, guys! I greatly appreciate the input! I'm looking forward to trying my hand with this bird.

Reactions: Danblacksher
I would also suggest spatchcocking the turkey. It gets all the meat on the same level so the dark meat and breast are done at the same time. It has been a gamechanger for me. Dry brine for 2 days and season.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky