UDS turkey gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luddite

Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
NW Arkansas
Looks like I’m doing the turkey in the UDS this year. Getting a lot of good info from the forums, so thanks to all those that have posted in the past.

I’m not finding a definite answer as to gravy when smoking a turkey. Will a catch pan a shelf below the turkey catch enough juices to make gravy? Or since the pan is directly over the heat source, will the juices just dry up from the heat?

I won’t miss the stuffing, but I gotta have a big bowl of gravy.

Add some vegetable or chicken stock to the drip pan along with some root veggies. That should prevent it from evaporating. Good luck and good smoking.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
You are correct. At the temps that I use for turkey (300+) that pan will cook dry in no time. I use the neck, giblets, and wing tips to make my gravy on the stove.

Pull out the neck and giblets cook it down on the stove and make some gravy to go over the dressing.
Let that smoked turkey stand alone!
“Cook it down”? Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Like put it in a saucepan with liquid and simmer it for awhile? How do I know how long to let it go! Sorry— I can be a bit dense.

You are correct. At the temps that I use for turkey (300+) that pan will cook dry in no time. I use the neck, giblets, and wing tips to make my gravy on the stove.
That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the response.

From what I’ve read in posts here, 325 or so should give me a crispyish skin?

I finally got my breast in the UDS for a trial run. Rock solid 325 the whole time. Came out wonderfully juicy and tender, but not much flavor to it. Tasted like turkey, but no taste of the spices or the smoke.

I used lump charcoal with 3 small chunks of mesquite. There was no smoke flavor at all. I guess that’s preferable to too smoky.

I mixed up some rub and soft butter and worked it under the skin. I assume I didn’t use enough, since there was no flavor.

I’m used to wrapping my meats in foil and a towel and letting them rest for an hour or so. Is this not necessary with turkey? My nice crispy skin was soft and rubbery after unwrapping it. It makes sense, I guess since it was closed up with the moisture. Do I just tent it with foil for a half hour or so to keep the skin crisp?

Thanks for all your help and advice so far.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky