smoking turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
I smoked a turkey breast a couple of weeks ago and the skin was thick and rubbery

I'm smoking a spatchcocked turkey and a breast tomorrow. How can I get a crisp skin on the birds?

I'm smoking a spatchcocked turkey and a breast tomorrow. How can I get a crisp skin on the birds?

Turkey and chicken skin will be rubbery if you don't cook at a high enough cooking temperature.

Smoke at 325F+ smoker temp and that should give you edible skin and often crispy skin.

There are some other things that are a bit time consuming with preparation to get good skin, but high heat like I mention gets it done with no extra work :D

I hope this info helps :)

As mentioned above heat is your friend. I try and pull some of the skin away from the breast. You can also air dry in the fridge over night. If you smoker does not get above 300. You can put it in the oven to broil or gas grill etc. for a few minutes at the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky