Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got a prime chuck For the same price as a choice cut. I put mine in at 10:00 and it was done at 1:00 cooking at 250. I foiled at165. Does prime take that much less time? Oh yeah, mine was 2.6 pounds.

I got a prime chuck For the same price as a choice cut. I put mine in at 10:00 and it was done at 1:00 cooking at 250. I foiled at165. Does prime take that much less time? Oh yeah, mine was 2.6 pounds.

I have heard that, because of the Marbling, but from me it's only Hearsay.
I never bought anything Prime, because I never saw a Good price on anything Prime.

Bear

Great post and thread! I recently cooked a few chucks and they were amazing. I have a few questions if you could help...

I pulled one at 195 and left the other to go to 205. The one at 195 was more tender. Is there a point when we can overcook it and make it rubbery or will it just start tasting like pot roast?

I noticed your turned your smoker off before you hit final temp. I assume this is from the carryover cooling. Is there any good way to assume what final temp will be after pulling the meat off the smoker?

Any experience with cooking these like a medium rare roast?

Thank you!

Great post and thread! I recently cooked a few chucks and they were amazing. I have a few questions if you could help...

I pulled one at 195 and left the other to go to 205. The one at 195 was more tender. Is there a point when we can overcook it and make it rubbery or will it just start tasting like pot roast?

I noticed your turned your smoker off before you hit final temp. I assume this is from the carryover cooling. Is there any good way to assume what final temp will be after pulling the meat off the smoker?

Any experience with cooking these like a medium rare roast?

Thank you!

#1. Chuckies tend to vary in toughness on their own, which was probably why your Chuck pulled @ 195° was more tender than the one pulled at 205°.

#2. I cut the heat back when I'm happy with where it is, and I don't want it to keep cooking. I don't shut it off completely, because I want my digital read-outs to still be working.
And When I Smoke at temps below 240° I usually only get a carry-over of 5° or 6°, and when smoking at 220°, only about 2° or 3° carry-over.

The only way I would cook a Chucky to medium Rare would be Sous Vide @ 132° for about 48 hours. Comes out more Tender than Prime Rib.
Link:
Chucky 50 hours. (By Far My Best Tender Sliced Chucky)

Bear

Reactions: fMD87
The only way I would cook a Chucky to medium Rare would be Sous Vide @ 132° for about 48 hours. Comes out more Tender than Prime Rib.
Link:
Chucky 50 hours. (By Far My Best Tender Sliced Chucky)
I've done the 50 hour at 132 and it was great! Currently have a 3 pounder in fridge. After following this thread I'm just curious, which is your favorite method?

I've done the 50 hour at 132 and it was great! Currently have a 3 pounder in fridge. After following this thread I'm just curious, which is your favorite method?

OK---You're actually comparing the wrong ones:
If you're comparing this Smoked Chuck for "Pulled Beef", you have to compare it with this SV Chuck---Pulled Beef Chuck Roast
And on those 2, if I was younger & in better shape, I would prefer the one I did in the Smoker, but the shape I'm in steers me directly to the SV Pulled Chuck @ 165° for 30 hours.

That one @ 132° for 48 or 50 hours is not for Pulled Beef. It turns a Chucky into Beef similar to "Prime Rib".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky