chuck roast for chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
I am aiming to make chili tomorrow and wanted to smoke some chucky tonight for the meat. Planning to smoke the roast then rest and let it sit in the fridge overnight and then use it for the chili tomorrow. Any suggestions on how much to smoke the meat tonight? Thinking to the stall?

Reactions: JLeonard
I know I'm late to this .

But sometimes I will even cube up before the smoke . So I am smoking up smaller pieces. For a stronger smoke through out the whole chili or stew etc.
And this will still get tender in the stew or chili.

I also do this for ground meats . Smoke them first as ground . More smoke cover on all bits.

David

Reactions: jcam222
I know I'm late to this .

But sometimes I will even cube up before the smoke . So I am smoking up smaller pieces. For a stronger smoke through out the whole chili or stew etc.
And this will still get tender in the stew or chili.

I also do this for ground meats . Smoke them first as ground . More smoke cover on all bits.

David
Great idea David! I'd add too I'll often put some of the liquid portion in a pan under the roast to smoke the liquid as well whether that's just some beef broth or the actual full Chile sauce mix.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Chuck chili is a fav at our house……I’m late to the party but we smoke the chuck to 203 and pull it in larger pieces and add at the end after the sauce is developed. The chuck retains smoke smokiness that way. However, all the suggestions above will be tasty as well!

Chuck chili is a fav at our house……I’m late to the party but we smoke the chuck to 203 and pull it in larger pieces and add at the end after the sauce is developed. The chuck retains smoke smokiness that way. However, all the suggestions above will be tasty as well!
I've essentially done it this way using leftover pulled chuck. I have a couple bags on the freezer now. One may just become Chile con carne

Reactions: civilsmoker
it turned out pretty good! Very tender meat and nice flavor. For next time, I like the ideas above of cubing the chuck first, I smoked it whole and the smokey flavor was there in the chili but not as much as I would have thought. I like the cube idea and smoking some liquid to put in the chili too. Will definitely be doing this again, so much better than just normal ground beef/turkey chili that I usually do!

Reactions: jcam222
I haven’t done a chuck for chili, but I think I will now!

Ive done many pork butts for green chili and I cook them to full done, then breakdown for the chili - its like budda!

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky