Smoked Grilled Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
This is usually called KFC - Kettle Fried Chicken. I decided to just go with the pellet pooper set at 375 with smoke tube with hickory chips.

Brine chicken for 8 hours. I like to use Louisiana chicken fry for this. Store was out of regular so got mild. You can slather chicken in mayo and bread or go by instructions. I had some buttermilk to use up so went with that. Let chicken marinade in it for about one hour.

20230910_154535.jpg 20230910_155205.jpg

Cleaned grates good and gave light coat of oil using an onion. Cook 20 minutes and give chicken light spray of oil and turn and spray other side. Have to be gentle turning. I use tongs grabbing the top and just flipping over end over end. Another 20 minutes and repeat. Gave another 5 minutes and called them done.

20230910_165815.jpg

20230910_170607.jpg 20230910_170615.jpg

Man these are good. Nice and crunchy and very moist. Would of preferred the orginal chicken fry better but still good. Made some cilantro lime rice. I been on a cooking slump lately. Even my Vortex wings where not good couple days ago. Feels good to finally make something decent.

20230910_171214.jpg

This is usually called KFC - Kettle Fried Chicken. I decided to just go with the pellet pooper set at 375 with smoke tube with hickory chips.

Brine chicken for 8 hours. I like to use Louisiana chicken fry for this. Store was out of regular so got mild. You can slather chicken in mayo and bread or go by instructions. I had some buttermilk to use up so went with that. Let chicken marinade in it for about one hour.

View attachment 675861View attachment 675862

Cleaned grates good and gave light coat of oil using an onion. Cook 20 minutes and give chicken light spray of oil and turn and spray other side. Have to be gentle turning. I use tongs grabbing the top and just flipping over end over end. Another 20 minutes and repeat. Gave another 5 minutes and called them done.

View attachment 675859

View attachment 675858View attachment 675857

Man these are good. Nice and crunchy and very moist. Would of preferred the orginal chicken fry better but still good. Made some cilantro lime rice. I been on a cooking slump lately. Even my Vortex wings where not good couple days ago. Feels good to finally make something decent.

View attachment 675856
great supper. gives a good alternative to the air fryer.

Looks awesome Brian!
I’ve had a few epic failures lately too!
I blame it on the heat & alcohol.
Can’t wait until we get some cooler weather!
Al

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
Looks really good Brian!
We have been getting down into the 40s at night, and lower 70s for daytime temps... man does it feel good!

Ryan

Chicken was even good cold. I ate 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner the next day.

Came out great. Nice work
Thanks
That looks great!! Nice work!!
Thanks
Hey how did you get the rice shaped like that. I like it.
Cookie cutter. I bought a set to use ballistic bbq's method of making a burger. which is a winner
Very nice Brian. I use that brand of fish seasoning, will have to try the chicken.
Thanks. I start using the blue bag mixed with some corn meal for fish. Nice and crispy.
Never skip leg day! Looks very tasty!
Thanks.

Chicken was even good cold. I ate 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner the next day.

alternative
Thanks
Looks awesome Brian!
I’ve had a few epic failures lately too!
I blame it on the heat & alcohol.
Can’t wait until we get some cooler weather!
Al
Thanks Al. We finally made it below 100!
Awesome meal.

Warren
Thanks Warren
Looks great Brian. Excellent work.
Thanks Mike
Man that looks finger licking good!

Jim
Thanks Jim
Looks really good Brian!
We have been getting down into the 40s at night, and lower 70s for daytime temps... man does it feel good!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan

Fantastic job on that KFC Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

View attachment 675861View attachment 675862

View attachment 675859

View attachment 675858View attachment 675857

View attachment 675856
Wow that looks great. Great way to break the cooking slump :D

Reactions: tallbm
I got couple big packages of thighs 50% off today. Most going to dog but have 4 in brine to do this again. Got to go to differ store to find the regular chicken fry this time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky