Smoked Chuck Shepherds Pie & Beer Cheese Pretzels Bites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the wife wanted some shepherds pie today so I smoked up a couple of chucks for the job....

One is seasoned with SPOG & Cajun and one w\ Kinders Prime Rib...both went in @ 275 over pans with beef broth to catch the drippings......I am enjoying having two racks!
BD17B7C1-2908-49E7-96AA-DC77C8182464.jpeg

@6 hours in @ IT 160,
9A0DB253-EA6A-4B25-BFEB-5C895EDBFD72.jpeg

cut an onion into slices, into the pan and the chuck on top!
E36E4E76-F39C-4277-893C-DB7F947C5CDA.jpeg

All snug as a bug @ 275 for 3 more hours to IT 205 and stalled.....into the house oven @ 170 till dinner time....
0A37CDAB-B87E-4AA6-8F60-B578F945B316.jpeg

Collected and fat skinned the broth and drippings for the gravy! This stuff is pure gold!
35C36250-A33C-47A1-8D8B-E8997DAA7928.jpeg

dinner time, the “pulling of the chuck” .....yes it tastes lick it looks!
3A62AA98-FB35-4676-BF9A-B0215E85E117.jpeg

the wife made up a flour roux with some chicken stock, beef Demi, worsch sauce, beer, and pan reserves, added pearl onions and sliced roots......oh my YUM!
F6958116-E562-4F7A-9652-058763BC49BD.jpeg

building the pie, layer of smothered smoked chuck yumminess, seasoned extra veg,
67958E71-FA25-46C4-AD91-9489462EAF86.jpeg

Next some Gordon Ramsey Yukon mash, topped with cheese
951766B9-4748-4E4A-AF5C-1AE6B308D4E6.jpeg

into the oven at @ 425 for 5 or so mins then garnished with sliced GO! Joined on the plate with some of my wife’s beer cheese, flour roux, milk, beef demi, dry mustard, worch sauce, salt, white pepper, and smoked Gouda w/pretzel bites!!!!
26520EA6-FCE8-4DC4-85D9-B3B985D9E63E.jpeg

Perfect ushering in winter meal “beer money”!
B9AF1FCB-3D2B-4685-B33A-5A579DE0B953.jpeg

it is October and all......got to be festive!

Last edited:
What I would give to try this. Looks amazing. So what was your cook time start to finish? I want to make this in a 9x13 to feed me plus leftovers for work for the week

Looks like a real good tummy warmer Civil.

Point for sure
Chris

OH MY GOD!! That looks absolutely, amazingly, deliciously decadent. Outstanding job and great teamwork bringing it all together. That deserves to be front and center on the carousel. I know what's on my cooking agenda one day real soon.

Robert

What I would give to try this. Looks amazing. So what was your cook time start to finish? I want to make this in a 9x13 to feed me plus leftovers for work for the week
Thanks, This was a last minute idea, so the chuck went on at 10:30 and finished 9 hours (6 unwrapped, 3 wrapped) later and rest in oven for 30 min till dinner at 7. This is pretty much standard for the chucks I do. Hence the 275.

Looks like a real good tummy warmer Civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

Everything looks great!! A++ for you photographs.
Much appreciated one eyed! Its darker now being winter so better light for food pics!
Oh my. What a great looking meal. Nicely done.
Thanks Brian!
Now that is a warm up the belly good food right there
I would have to try a couple bowls of that
looks fantastic

David
Thanks David, it is a real crowd pleaser and individual pleasure for sure!

I bet that's good . Nice work .
Thanks Chop! It was tasty tasty!

great looking meal! and that plate is almost too pretty to eat. Almost I say.
Jim
Thanks Jim, pretty don'ts do any good unless if comes to something.....LOL like a full belly!

OH MY GOD!! That looks absolutely, amazingly, deliciously decadent. Outstanding job and great teamwork bringing it all together. That deserves to be front and center on the carousel. I know what's on my cooking agenda one day real soon.

Robert
Thanks Robert! Shepherds Pie is suppose to be a simple toss everything in meal....but don't right its, well you noticed! You will have to try it for sure!

Man that looks great!
Thanks sandy! and thanks again for the RT recommendation, just LOVING IT! ....I should thank Brian and Robert too!

Looks awesome!

Like one eyed jack one eyed jack said...great photos!
Thanks norman! I love documenting food memories.....In my book they are some of the most powerful there are........ The movie PIG portrays that in a huge way (a foodie dark drama movie for sure ....not for everyone though)

Wow, just wow!
Many thanks Colin!

Warms up my soul just looking at the pics, fantastic piece of work, huge Like! RAY
Much appreciated RAY, we are getting snowed on right now so a little warming was in order!

Looks absolutely delicious!
Nicely done!
Al
Thanks Al! Its a bowl full of flavorful delicious!

I’d wait in line for hours to try that! Amazing job, you nailed it!
Thanks bauch! Its a nice hearty meal and in a way, I did wait most the day for it.....

Beautiful, Civil !!
Very Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Many thanks Bear!

YEAP! Love it! Great job!
Much appreciation yankee! We have been making these for a long time and I think "we" are coming close to getting them right....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky