Shoulder Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bullitz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I agreed to my neighbor to smoke him a brisket for his birthday party so long as he provides the beef.
Yesterday he told me he bought an 18lb brisket so I went over to check it out. I had never seen an 18lb one before and was curious about the thickness of the flat.

Lo and behold, its not a brisket at all! It's a shoulder clod.
Ain't never seen that before.

My intent is to do everything 'virtually' the same but with a slightly higher cooking temp because that thing is massive. The one thing I will do with this that I dont do with the brisket is I will mop several times during the cook since it has a lower fat content and so a higher risk of drying.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions?
Scared....

sounds like you have it under control, clods are a great piece of meat, was the package marked clod or was it mislabeled.

#1 suggestion: Don't worry.

Shoulder Clod is one of the big muscle groups that make up the chuck. Big, beefy and forgiving. I prefer chuck to brisket most of the time due to its flavor and ease of cooking.

Are you planning to pull it or slice it?

sounds like you have it under control, clods are a great piece of meat, was the package marked clod or was it mislabeled.

It was definitely NOT a brisket. It was labeled as a Shoulder Clod and I believe thats what it is having now seen pics of one on the internet. :)

Are you planning to pull it or slice it?

Very good question... am glad you asked that. I WANT to take it up to 200f but the videos I watched where people sliced it they only took it to 165.

CAN IT be sliced at 200 or is it just going to crumble? I know the point will crumble... but what of the rest?

It was definitely NOT a brisket. It was labeled as a Shoulder Clod and I believe thats what it is having now seen pics of one on the internet. :)
ok I was just wondering if he was charged brisket price for a clod, mislabeling does happen now and then. as long as you got what you paid for happy smoking.

Clod is still on my bucket list for smoking. I'd be interested in the timing of an 18 lb clod compared to an 18 lb brisket because the clod is so much thicker. My instincts tell me it will take a lot longer. I'm in for the final result!

Noboundries,

You can always separate some of the muscle groups to make several smaller piece of meat. Honestly I doubt the thickness is going to make it take longer to cook than a brisket.

I've watched YouTube videos about breaking one down. That's what I was going to do if I ever bought one, but it seemed like OP bullitz was going to do one whole that's why I mentioned the timing. I'm curious.

Reactions: bullitz
Clod is still on my bucket list for smoking. I'd be interested in the timing of an 18 lb clod compared to an 18 lb brisket because the clod is so much thicker. My instincts tell me it will take a lot longer. I'm in for the final result!

I will post an update here after the smoke!

Update:
My neighbor decided to half the clod.
This first image is of it seasoned and ready.
Notice how thin it looks....
IMG_20190720_032827.jpg

The next image is at 150 degrees (4.5 hours in). It got plump!
Note: Am smoking at a higher temp (245) due to time constraints.
IMG_20190720_083911.jpg

Its wrapped now. Will post updates later...

Update:
My neighbor decided to half the clod.
This first image is of it seasoned and ready.
Notice how thin it looks....
View attachment 400977

The next image is at 150 degrees (4.5 hours in). It got plump!
Note: Am smoking at a higher temp (245) due to time constraints.
View attachment 400978

Its wrapped now. Will post updates later...
looking good already, glad to see your not wasting the drippings

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky