Beef Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
NAILED IT and congrats on the ride! Been down the clod rabbit hole and from what I read it is in fact a "no fail brisket". Some serve it sliced, some pulled. Apparently good either way. I think it is more marbled on the interior wheras brisket has more surface fat something like that. jcam222 jcam222 Gotr me fired up for some! I am DETERMINED to find some near us. GFS Lakewood has them. Curiuous if our local GFS can order it in maybe?
I called the Mansfield store today. They no longer stock it but can order cases. Cases average 70 lbs @ $3.99 / lbs. Great value with very little trimming. 70 lbs is likely 4 clods but could be 3.

Last edited:
NAILED IT and congrats on the ride! Been down the clod rabbit hole and from what I read it is in fact a "no fail brisket". Some serve it sliced, some pulled. Apparently good either way. I think it is more marbled on the interior wheras brisket has more surface fat something like that. jcam222 jcam222 Gotr me fired up for some! I am DETERMINED to find some near us. GFS Lakewood has them. Curiuous if our local GFS can order it in maybe?
yeah...I see people talking about breaking it down or only pulling one side and slicing the other...the truth is...I had no idea...the whole thing pulled like it was all the same cut.

I see them at the Costco business center when I go there...I've always just walked by...huge piece of beef called "clod"...not all that appealing until now.

Awesome! One of those things I’d like to try but then wonder what I’d do with it all 🤔. Congrats on the carousel ride.

Clods are awesome!! They have 3 separate muscles I believe. The larger area cooks up like a roast and the smaller muscle group can be shredded. I recently did a 16lb over the 4th of July and it went faster than the brisket which was great also.

All this talk made me take a trip to GFS . No clods , so I settled for a chuck roll .
Hope to a couple chuck eyes out of it . Then some chuck roast , Sierra and maybe a couple Denver steaks . Always some trim for stew meat or grind .
1688837890761.png

I have always broken down the clod. I like the flat iron and petite tender cooked like steak to slice
Breaking down primals is the best bang for the buck , and you're not eating the same thing for 3 weeks .

You nailed it! I've done quite a few clods. Our local GFS used to carry them and the price was always great. FAR less loss than brisket. Clod was the main attraction of Texas BBQ long before brisket came on the scene. I think maybe it's still a specialty at Kreuz Market. Our GFS hasn't had them in awhile. I usually sliced the one end and pulled the other. Cool article on it here https://www.southernliving.com/food/bbq/shoulder-clod-texass-forgotten-bbq-star#:~:text=An Original Texas BBQ Star,individual cuts in the 1960s.
That was a nice article. I'm gonna have to try this....just don't know what I'm gonna do with 20 pounds of beef.

Reactions: 912smoker
Great cook, results and info !
Never tried a clod but gotta go hunting now. Several butcher shops in the area so I'll be making the rounds!

And congrats on the ride!!

Keith

Reactions: RickNessly
Nice smoke. Beef anything is always my knee-jerk go to. Well......cause I love it.

Just a word on briskets, since you mentioned it and FWIW: once upon a time I could get whole packer briskets (select, but occasionally a choice ended up in the bin) at $1.47/lb at my H-E-B stores here in the greater Houston area. Yes, not a mis-type $1.47/ld. Never paid more that 2 bucks for a select or choice brisket. I was convinced they grew them on trees somewhere.

I say all that to say this: I embarked on a mission several years ago to perfect brisket. I cooked a brisket every single weekend for nearly 2 months (I have a ton of ideas and uses for leftover brisket). I always do whole packers because, well......the flat is hit and miss. Sooooooo, use the flat and point combination and bingo: omelets, sammiches, stuffed jalapeños, stuffed Cornish hens, stuffed brisket LOL. you get the picture.

Again, nice smoke and sorry for the brisket rant. I think I am a little jaded about the prices I have to pay for beef in Texas. For Pete's sake, charge $50/lb for chicken, but leave my feef alone!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky