Sept Throwdown Coming soon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Just wanted to let everyone know that the throwdown is coming soon. This one is taking a bit longer to get together because Huddler has worked with one of the site sponsors to provide a HUGE prize valued at around $1000. So we are trying to get everything together to have a AWESOME throwdown.

Thanks for you patience.

Brian

$1000 Prize!
icon_eek.gif
...I'm in...JJ

Hate to be a throwdown pooper but I feel that MOST of the people with the best cameras have been voted winners...... I have seen some really good dishes made with pictures taken with average quality cameras that didnt get hardly any votes....... Is there any way we can limit the picture quality, maybe a store bought instant digital camera has to be used...... any Ideas... if the prizes are geting into the $1000 range it would nice for it to be fair across the board for everyone.....

Just my thoughts

Hate to be a throwdown pooper but I feel that MOST of the people with the best cameras have been voted winners...... I have seen some really good dishes made with pictures taken with average quality cameras that didnt get hardly any votes....... Is there any way we can limit the picture quality, maybe a store bought instant digital camera has to be used...... any Ideas... if the prizes are geting into the $1000 range it would nice for it to be fair across the board for everyone.....

Just my thoughts
You're not a throwdown pooper, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. I agree the food should be the reason people vote...but if lighting/picture quality/plating plays a part in the voting, then a camera is still only part of the issue. Unless everyone is required to plate everything in the same container (like a white styrofoam one) with a white back round, then the voters will still vote on other appearances also. I personally vote for the food itself...what sounds good to me. 

I think that if people vote according to appearances, instead of holding some people back, why not just have contestants step up their game and enter the best photo they can of the best food they make. 

Just my thoughts

I was lucky to be a winner in the throwdown before last (didn't make it into the last one) and the camera I have is certainly nothing special, just a cheap point & shoot.
I'm not sayin' my photography was super, but it was enough to win.

C242C4E.jpg

Anyone can take half-way decent pictures with a cheap point & shoot camera if they follow some important pointers, most importantly, using natural light.

More secrets here....
Compact Camera Food Photography

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/technique/compact-camera-food-photography/

Okay, now I've gone and given out way too many secrets...LOL

~Martin :biggrin:

Last edited:
Curious as to what the category will be. I might enter but it will be my first time.
I'd like to submit a category,   " no more foo foo food" lets get back to basics, ribs, pork, brisket, chicken, no foo names allowed which involve ingredients we've never heard of or descriptions we have to look up to figure out what they are!!!     
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

I'd like to submit a category,  " no more foo foo food" lets get back to basics, ribs, pork, brisket, chicken, no foo names allowed which involve ingredients we've never heard of or descriptions we have to look up to figure out what they are!!!      :th_Slab_of_meat:

That's where the voting comes in, if it's not something that appeals to you, don't vote for it.... and as a contestant, you're certainly free to enter just "the basics" if you so choose. :biggrin:

~Martin

With the talk of such a nice upgrade in the prize, there should be an upgrade at all levels. The Throwdown should be an uber one. It should challenge cooking techniques, times and products. It should challenge us to really push our limits in cooking, styling and presentation in words and visual.

So if you choose to take on this Throwdown then you should be prepared to put your best product forward. You should really challenge yourself with every aspect. If you feel you are challenged more in one of the areas than another. Then think out of the box and utilize your resources you have access too. If you do not have access to one now, I bet you will if you go with a container of BBQ! You will make new friends very quickly!

With the talk of such a nice upgrade in the prize, there should be an upgrade at all levels. The Throwdown should be an uber one. It should challenge cooking techniques, times and products. It should challenge us to really push our limits in cooking, styling and presentation in words and visual.
So if you choose to take on this Throwdown then you should be prepared to put your best product forward. You should really challenge yourself with every aspect. If you feel you are challenged more in one of the areas than another. Then think out of the box and utilize your resources you have access too. If you do not have access to one now, I bet you will if you go with a container of BBQ! You will make new friends very quickly!
X100 I totally agree!!! a $1000 prize should require a lot more thinking and work, not just making a sandwich!

The throwdown should require at least 2 pictures..... one or more of the products being smoked, with the secret word..... and one of the finished product, with the secret word......

Not saying anyone would deviate from the rules......   but smoked and assembled during the month would be OK with me for a prize that big....   Gonna have to think long and hard on this one.....  feeling another headache coming on.... 
ROTF.gif
.... Dave

I'd like to submit a category,   " no more foo foo food" lets get back to basics, ribs, pork, brisket, chicken, no foo names allowed which involve ingredients we've never heard of or descriptions we have to look up to figure out what they are!!!     
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
Im good with that. I think a full meal wouldn't be a bad idea for this sized prize. Maybe one meat and one or two sides. Meat are deemed by the throwdown gods and then sides are up to us.

The throwdown should require at least 2 pictures..... one or more of the products being smoked, with the secret word..... and one of the finished product, with the secret word......
 I agree here...Just to keep everybody honest. Additionally I think it would by proper for the Winner's to post a Thread with some process pics and a Recipe...JJ

Last edited:
Why not require participants to stand on their head when they take a pic? :biggrin:

I agree that the challenge should be greater with a $1,000 prize, but I can't see where just requiring an extra pic is going to accomplish that.

On another forum, to make things challenging, contestants were limited to a list of common staples, and could only spend $5 for non-staple ingredients, with pics of the receipts to prove it.
I think that something like that would make it much more of a challenge, but not necessarily favor the 'pros' in a way that some other requirements would.

Just my 2 cents.

~Martin

I think there needs to be something tinkered with on the photo side. I am a crap photographer but a fair cook. Yes my plating can be a bit"come & get it" but thats part of the cookery & down to me to fix.It should be about the food not the prettiest picture,hard to define I know but thats just my 2 cents .Ingredients don't bother me, 2 stage photo fine.If the prize is that big only fair that entrants have to step it up. I just don't want it to become about fancy smancy froufrou squiggles of sauce on plates too clever for its own good food. No chance from my end but maybe thats just me heading into grumpy old man territory.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky