Seasoning New MES 2.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paul 311

Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Hi All - Happy Independence Day!

My old Masterbuilt had a bit of a grease fire this morning while heating up so I had to quickly put together the new Masterbuilt I recently purchased but wasn't setup yet.

Of course I already had my brisket ready to go and my AMNPS was lit so now I have the new smoker up and running to get it seasoned. Question is after the three hours, do I need to let it cool down or can I simply dial down the temp and get my brisket smoking to hopefully eat sometime today?

Also, I loved the remote on my old smoker. This Bluetooth range is pathetic! Any suggestions? Does Masterbuilt offer anything better?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup---Like Al said, Why wait---Get to it.

I loved my old RF remotes, but they gave me this Bluetooth #2.5, and I don't have any kind of contraption to use it with.
So I just use the controls on the console. I gotta check things out now and then anyway, and I don't make a lot of changes, so I don't mind.

BTW: Maybe this could help:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Sounds like a plan -- thank you both!!

Already missing that RF remote but just like you I'm out checking it anyhow!

Sounds like a plan -- thank you both!!

Already missing that RF remote but just like you I'm out checking it anyhow!

I can tell you:
When the Bluetooth models first came out some guys had some problems with them going nuts on the digital read-outs.
If I remember correctly Masterbuilt fixed them up with what was needed to convert their Gen #2.5 Models from Bluetooth to RF. I believe this took a new controller & a matching RF remote.
So we know it can be done, but the cost for the new control & the Remote is probably too much.
I'm pretty much used to not using a remote now, but if it was only $50 or so, I could consider it.

Bear

but they gave me this Bluetooth #2.5, and I don't have any kind of contraption to use it with.
So I just use the controls on the console. I gotta check things out now and then anyway, and I don't make a lot of changes, so I don't mind.

Same here.

I have a dumb phone and use the console.

IIRC don't you basically really need to run her for 1 hour at 275f to burn out any thing potentionally bad? I haven't googled that in a while..hopefully I never need to do so again. If I do it means my smoker died on me!

Also I'm 31, I'm supposed to be part of the Tech savvy generation. I still can't understand how to turn on or turn off the flash on my cellphone. So glad I got the MES 140s with out a blue tooth thing. I'd probably just end up breaking some thing pushing buttons LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky