PID options for Masterbuilt 30" analog smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iowabucks

Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Hey everyone, i just picked up a used Masterbuilt 30" analog electric smoker for $20. In pretty good shape too, although it needs a new element.

I'm not new to smoking. Been doing it for 15 years. Had a Bradley that i modded. Dual elements with an Auber PID. Currently have a drum smoker and offset smoker. My favorites smokes are full packer brisket, and pork butt, and ribs.

I picked up this Masterbuilt to get me started in snack sticks and sausages. Figured it would be easier to hang these in this upright cabinet. Just got it cleaned out and i'm already thinking of what mods to start with. It seems like there is no airflow in this one and i wonder if it would help to add some kind of vent to the bottom and a smokestack on top. But would that really help with an electric element, or just make it harder to reach temp?

But my main question was what kind of different PID options are out there that would work with the Masterbuilt 30" analog?

I have used the Auber 1200 and liked it but it seemed pretty complicated to me. Maybe if i used it more often i could have remembered some of the programming. I do see some good threads on that topic here too.

What other brands of PID's are out there that may be plug and play? And i'm not against a DIY project as long as i have some good instuctions to help me through.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to using this smoker with some kind of temp controller.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, i just picked up a used Masterbuilt 30" analog electric smoker for $20. In pretty good shape too, although it needs a new element.

I'm not new to smoking. Been doing it for 15 years. Had a Bradley that i modded. Dual elements with an Auber PID. Currently have a drum smoker and offset smoker. My favorites smokes are full packer brisket, and pork butt, and ribs.

I picked up this Masterbuilt to get me started in snack sticks and sausages. Figured it would be easier to hang these in this upright cabinet. Just got it cleaned out and i'm already thinking of what mods to start with. It seems like there is no airflow in this one and i wonder if it would help to add some kind of vent to the bottom and a smokestack on top. But would that really help with an electric element, or just make it harder to reach temp?

But my main question was what kind of different PID options are out there that would work with the Masterbuilt 30" analog?

I have used the Auber 1510 and liked it but it seemed pretty complicated to me. Maybe if i used it more often i could have remembered some of the programming. I do see some good threads on that topic here too.

What other brands of PID's are out there that may be plug and play? And i'm not against a DIY project as long as i have some good instuctions to help me through.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to using this smoker with some kind of temp controller.
I bet JC in GB JC in GB could help you with this.
He set me up with the parts to build a PID controler for my drum smoker.
Although, life got it the way, and I haven't put it together yet, I have all the parts, I just need to get with JC, so he can walk me through the process again.

Good luck.
Dan.

The Auber 1200 may max at 1,200 watts if you look up the Model and the Analog MB 30" smoker I believe has a 1,500 watt element. The Auber WS-1510ELPM is 15 amps 1,800 watts.

Reactions: chopsaw
I built my own using a BERM REX-C100 kit from Amazon, $20 includes the PID, SSR and thermocouple. I mounted it in a plastic weatherproof project box, it's been working perfectly all summer. Search for my threads about it and you will see it.

Cheers

Amazon PID
How did you set your temperatures to not over run or under run your desired temp. I cannot figure that out on my REX C100.

These settings work for me on my MES30 Digital "Sportsman Elite", the well insulated model, 800W element. I just went out and checked as it's currently running, I'm smoking some sausage. I mounted the thermal sensor in the back, I drilled a small hole and pushed it through, it protrudes about an inch into the cabinet. I ground off the threaded nut so you are left with just the thermal bulb.

ARU = 0
P = 010
I = 80
D = 200
Ar = 100
r = 3
SC = 7

Have fun!

Cheers

Auber... Buy once, cry once... The expense will pay dividends in the future,

I don't use my Auber for a MES, but I do use it in my sausage smoker to control the temp and monitor the IT of the sausage/sticks that I have going. It's the best investment I ever made for smoking/cooking.

I've made my own in the past, but they never came close to what I get from Auber.

These settings work for me on my MES30 Digital "Sportsman Elite", the well insulated model, 800W element. I just went out and checked as it's currently running, I'm smoking some sausage. I mounted the thermal sensor in the back, I drilled a small hole and pushed it through, it protrudes about an inch into the cabinet. I ground off the threaded nut so you are left with just the thermal bulb.

ARU = 0
P = 010
I = 80
D = 200
Ar = 100
r = 3
SC = 7

Have fun!

Cheers
Just what I need. When I get it in the new box I will try your settings. Thank you.

Reactions: kilohertz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky