season wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike g

Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I have just recently had my oak tree pruned and was wondering how lon and how to season the wood.
mike

I think 6 months is long enough but others think that a year is better...

It depends on how well you can store it and where you live. Keep it dry, and of the ground. (like in a garage or shed, on a pallet or something similar)

If you live in an area that has below average humidity (West/Southwest US or up North) then you might be able to get away with about 8-9 months worth of seasoning, otherwise - in the Midwest, I recommend 12 months.

I am currently using apple wood that was cut in July 2008, and it burns very nicely. However, when I started using wood from this batch about 6 months ago, I still had a few pieces that were too high in moisture content.

Give it at least 8 months in ideal storage conditions - and then put a medium size piece in your firebox or in a lit charcoal chimney and see how it reacts. If you see that moisture is boiling out of the ends of the stick, then it's still too wet to give really good flavor. Also, how long does it produce REALLY white, billowing smoke before it settles down to the thin blue? Of course, most wood will produce white smoke at first - but after about 45 seconds of burn, that should go away, if you're dealing with well-seasoned wood. If it doesn't go away that quick with your test piece - give it another few months and try again!

I agree with what has been said.6 months minimum if cut in chunks and cut in spring is about right.8 months or so minimum if winter cut.With oaks the weight of chunk will reduce drasticaly as water and tanins/resins crystalize...

Air circulation and shelter will speed it up.Indirect light will reduce chance of mold.I cook 10 plus bbq comps a year and 6 or more large catering jobs

This is what i use at my garden storage house...Great idea to do as much as you can-it is usable once dry for a year minimmum....The oak here on 3rd rack took from november to august to be dry....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky