Shrimp!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Screenshot_20230715_145150_Gallery.jpg

Like alot of you I always want to evolve and try new methods of doing things.

Recently, I was thinking about shrimp.

How do you like to prepare shrimp?

Do you season when you put on the heat source?

Do you brine or marinade?

Season while cooking or after?

Let's hear what you all prefer.

Looking forward to see what you do.

Like alot of you I always want to evolve and try new methods of doing things.

Recently, I was thinking about shrimp.

How do you like to prepare shrimp?

Do you season when you put on the heat source?

Do you brine or marinade?

Season while cooking or after?

Let's hear what you all prefer.

Looking forward to see what you do.
How many ways are there to prepare shrimp?

I prefer season then over the fire on a skewer for few minutes. My second favorite is my ginger- turmeric seasoning on the flat top. Honestly I must say I’ve not had a shrimp I didn’t enjoy. Unseasoned steamed dipped In cocktail sauce is top 3 also. When coconut is involved it makes them less enjoyable for me. Personal preference. Coconut 👎. Look forward to your thread bmudd14474 bmudd14474

When you either grill, fry or stir fry shrimp (especially with an acidic sauce) use the velveting technique in asian cooking. 1/4tsp. of Baking soda per pound. mix it in by hand and let rest 15-30 minutes before cooking. This will change the protein structure on the surface of the shrimp by denaturing the proteins and increasing the pH. The shrimp will crisp up nicely, yet remain juicy inside and this is important in an acidic sauce...otherwise, the shrimp will lose moisture, shrink, and become rubbery.

Oh- and reduce the amount of salt you use to season the shrimp accordingly...

My favorite shrimp marinade. The flavor shines through when you marinade for an hour or so.

EVOO
Honey
Garlic
Lime juice
S&P
Sometimes I add a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

Fred

Central Florida Costco has gulf shrimp in the freezer. Anyway you cook it is the best. Don't overcook. Butter and garlic in the cast iron pan for a delicious scampi.

Like others I love them many ways. Never really had a shrimp fish I didn't like. I do love chili lime shrimp, harissa shrimp and shrimp diablo to name a few. I believe I've posted all of those.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I love shrimp! I’ve always done the traditional peel and eat with Old Bay Seasoning, but started messing around with Scampi, breading and recently grilled it. Screwed it and of course removed shell prior, basted with real unsalted butter, seasoned with Tacticalories Docksider.

Don't buy shrimp often as its up there in price where I live but I use this old stand by.

Old Bay Shrimp Sauté​

This fast and easy Old Bay shrimp recipe combines the iconic seafood seasoning with lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire, and fresh thyme.

Course Seafood
Cuisine American
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Cook Time 10 minutes mins
Total Time 20 minutes mins
Servings 4 servings
Calories 254
Author Lynne Webb

Ingredients​

• 1.25 lbs large shrimp, peeled (tails on) and deveined
  • 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 1-1/2 lemons
  • 4 to 5 dashes of Tabasco
  • 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Steamed white or brown rice

Instructions​

• Combine the lemon juice, Tabasco, and Worcestershire in a small bowl and set aside.
  • Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat until foamy.
  • Add the shrimp, sprinkle with the Old Bay Seasoning and sauté until pink and opaque, about 3 minutes total.
  • Add the lemon juice mixture, thyme leaves, and the remaining tablespoon of butter and toss until the shrimp are well coated.
  • Season with freshly ground black pepper and remove from the heat.
  • To serve, plate individual servings of steamed white or brown rice, top with a portion of shrimp and spoon the pan juices over the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky