To the " Pepper People Professionals " , LOL I have a question ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada

Thanks for popping in . The other day while I was dragged through the 50 mile yard sale that happens every year out in the country area that my family is from
I stumbled into a yard that had a small greenhouse business. She was getting ride of lots of plants as it is the end of the season. We talked a bit as I love to garden, somehow got onto cooking, She ran down to the greenhouse and brought up this pepper plant.
I have never heard of it , and she said she grew them and was not sure how hot or what to use them for .

So for $3.00 how could I say no

She called it " Time Bomb " I looked up and said it is milder than Jalapenos

DSC_8356.JPG

DSC_8357.JPG

The peppers are about the size of your guys silver dollar.

When I first got it some of the peppers were almost light chocolate brown than green than red.

Just wondering what anyone might have used for , and would you know if the seeds can be saved and planted for next year , or maybe save the plant, let it sleep for the winter, and let it regrow next year.

Thanks even though she grew it , she was not very helpful other then a great price tag.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Not sure what you have it looks like a cherry pepper. Try moving it in the house to over winter.

Warren

Thanks warren for the comment

Yes it is from the Cherry pepper family, and that is good , I can move into my shop for the winter.

Just was not sure what the actual pepper was like and how hot. And if I can grow more from the seeds in the peppers. Or they might be like Hybrid
and not reproduce from their seeds
David

Thats exactly what I was gonna say. I don't grow them but it looks like cherry peppers. They're great stuffed with cheese and salami and such.

Thanks for the comment

Yes they are from the Cherry pepper plant family. That sounds good for stuffing as they would be bite size. Just was not really sure of the heat from this one.
I guess I will be taking a bite of one this week.

David

Last edited:
Yup, just did a batch of about 30.

IMG_20230919_155842541.jpg

Cherry peppers aren't very hot. Less than a jalapeno. Stuffing them is a pita. But worth it. I pickle the peppers first. This also works great with pickled jalapenos. I stuff with either feta. Or provolone. And cap with either ham or prosciutto.

Thanks for popping in . The other day while I was dragged through the 50 mile yard sale that happens every year out in the country area that my family is from
I stumbled into a yard that had a small greenhouse business. She was getting ride of lots of plants as it is the end of the season. We talked a bit as I love to garden, somehow got onto cooking, She ran down to the greenhouse and brought up this pepper plant.
I have never heard of it , and she said she grew them and was not sure how hot or what to use them for .

So for $3.00 how could I say no

She called it " Time Bomb " I looked up and said it is milder than Jalapenos

View attachment 676504
View attachment 676505

The peppers are about the size of your guys silver dollar.

When I first got it some of the peppers were almost light chocolate brown than green than red.

Just wondering what anyone might have used for , and would you know if the seeds can be saved and planted for next year , or maybe save the plant, let it sleep for the winter, and let it regrow next year.

Thanks even though she grew it , she was not very helpful other then a great price tag.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David
Those look like the peppers they serve at BBQ places around here. They are pickled. I love them.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I find them in stores around here (Minnesota) under the name “Cherry Bomb”. Wife loved them on salads
Tried growing from saved seeds and the plants weren’t very hardy and died before blooming

Great find David . I pull the seeds and let them dry on a paper towel , then store them in an envelope .
To bad you didn't have them when you made those B&B pickles . Be good in a relish .
Always good to have some mild chili powder on hand too .

View attachment 676508

Cherry peppers aren't very hot. Less than a jalapeno. Stuffing them is a pita. But worth it. I pickle the peppers first. This also works great with pickled jalapenos. I stuff with either feta. Or provolone. And cap with either ham or prosciutto.
How many pickled peppers can you pickle if you were to pickle a pack of peppers

View attachment 676508

They look great Steve, thanks for the ides and picture. Milder than jalapeno, good to know
So pickled first , then stuffed , than smoked or on the Q to reheat, melt cheese. or just stuffed than eat?

David

I find them in stores around here (Minnesota) under the name “Cherry Bomb”. Wife loved them on salads
Tried growing from saved seeds and the plants weren’t very hardy and died before blooming

Thanks John for the comment

Yes under Cherry Peppers, there is , " Cherry Bomb " and this one " Time Bomb "

Too bad about the seeds not growing well for you.

David

I was guessing cherry bomb too. I would think you can save seeds for sure.

Thanks Jeff, when I pick and process them ( eat or whatever ) I will save the seeds for next year . And try to winter the plant in the shop , where I keep a couple different not winter hardy plants.

David

Reactions: jcam222
Great find David . I pull the seeds and let them dry on a paper towel , then store them in an envelope .
To bad you didn't have them when you made those B&B pickles . Be good in a relish .
Always good to have some mild chili powder on hand too .

Thanks Rich for the comment

And the how to save and store the seeds.
Would I germinate them in starter medium or wet tissue in early spring ?

And I make a nice Jalapeno and Onion Relish, everyone finds too hot, ( trust me not hot at all really )
so if I get any kind of crop from this next year I will make a milder version.
Or yes dry and grind to a mild chili pepper.

Thanks for the good ideas

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky