Shrimp!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recipe:

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 or 2 sticks butter
2 Tbs. Dijon or stone ground mustard
1 ½ tsp. chili powder, your choice on heat
¼ tsp. basil
¼ tsp. thyme
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
½ tsp. oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
2 Tbs. shrimp & crab boil seasoning, I use a Tbs. of Old Bay and a tsp. of Zatarains
½ tsp. hot sauce or to taste
1 ½ lbs. large shrimp, with shells

Preheat oven to 375 deg.
In a skillet fry the bacon until almost crisp; add butter and rest of ingredients except shrimp. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Place the shrimp in a baking dish, and pour sauce over the top. Stir to coat all the shrimp. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes and stir twice during baking. Serve at once.

Serve with some good crusty bread for dipping in the sauce. Serve in bowls with some of the sauce and it’s a good idea to have wet towels too; they are messy to eat but fun and delicious.

Serves 4 average people or 2 Cajuns!

Note: When doing for two people; I just use 1 stick of butter, if serving 4 you may want to use 2 sticks.

Reactions: indaswamp
My wife got me to try a shrimp bowl recipe by ‘Gabby’. It’s a Shrimp Quinoa bowl with a Cilantro vinaigrette. It’s now my favorite shrimp recipe
4BF190A6-0AC4-40F1-90F2-03EDF6CCD126.jpeg

Congrats on the spinner ride and some great looking and sounding cooks on this thread! I could eat shrimp everyday!

Brian, I've always got local shrimp in my freezer that I buy straight off the boats near Beaufort, SC. I love it cooked almost anyway it can be cooked as long as it's not overcooked, but my favorite is lightly dry breaded and deep fried. Next would be blackened and after that would be grilled with a light dusting of J.O.s #1 or #2...

Reactions: 912smoker
Brian, I've always got local shrimp in my freezer that I buy straight off the boats near Beaufort, SC. I love it cooked almost anyway it can be cooked as long as it's not overcooked, but my favorite is lightly dry breaded and deep fried. Next would be blackened and after that would be grilled with a light dusting of J.O.s #1 or #2...
Must be nice. The store stuff just not compare but all I can get. Love blackened with some Alfredo.

I'm with you Charles.
We get them fresh off the boat from Savannah and prefer them fried...then grilled #2.

Keith

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Fresh is usually what I get had a friend that owned several shrimp boats he kept me over supplied with shrimp. Still not real far from the coast and can usually buy fresh off the boat closer.
Like these other guys I like them breaded and fried best. 2nd would be scampi. 3rd would be grilled. Of course boiled and put in the fridge and served with cocktail sauce is good anytime and makes a good night time snack.

Fresh is usually what I get had a friend that owned several shrimp boats he kept me over supplied with shrimp. Still not real far from the coast and can usually buy fresh off the boat closer.
Like these other guys I like them breaded and fried best. 2nd would be scampi. 3rd would be grilled. Of course boiled and put in the fridge and served with cocktail sauce is good anytime and makes a good night time snack.
I need a friend like that!

Living where I do, fresh shrimp is readily available and we like it fried. I'll lightly coat them in a breader and flash fry them. They only take a minute at most in hot oil and the key is not to overcook them. We do not like a batter for shrimp. No marinade or brine and the breader is seasoned. I use Louisiana Fish Fry or House Autry mostly because they are what's available at the Walmart near me. If I use HA, I'll add some more cornmeal to it to get a crispier coating. I add about 1/3 more cornmeal to however much HA I use.

Next would be boiled. I add a cup or so of Louisiana Crab boil seasoning to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp, cover, and remove from heat. Let them sit until they turn pink, about 5 minutes. Chill or peel and eat hot with lemon and cocktail sauce. I make a basic cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish, hot sauce, and lemon.

The one thing I'll emphasize is DO NOT overcook them however you decide to prepare them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky