Ref; UK Rashers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So when picking up stuff to make home made ice cream <Mostly cream and rock salt> I decided to meander over and look at the pork <I was at Walmart, so not a very good selection> but it still had me wondering -what- cut is used for UK style Bacon <proper back bacon>.

Can some one enlighten me? Most of the time the pork loins I see are pretty devoid of a fat cap.. <Also saw Pork belly..at a butcher..for about 7 dollars a pound. I'm not even considering making streaky bacon at that cost>.

Like is there a specific cut I need to see if they got in store or some thing? There are several store chains here with a butcher counter, so I can ask. Then I am also curious if any one here has done UK Style back bacon and can tell me if they did any thing special or if I can just follow a normal back bacon cure.

I've spent alot of time trying to figure that out too; oddly not alot of useful info on it..other then one really really old time recipe for a wet brine that UK butchers used!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky