Red wine cured

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AKokkinos

Original poster
Feb 11, 2024
Hi ev1. New to these forums but not new to dry curing bacon and smoking. Apologies if this question does not belong here. In my country, it is traditional (and a dying art) to cure bacon, pork loin and sausage meat in dry red wine, salt, crushed dry coriander and lots of coarse salt. (No prague powder). After a number of days in the brine, they were smoked using traditional aromatics. The traditional way was too time consuming and there are wildly varying recipes. My question: can you point me to the right direction in trying to replicate this? For example, a 2kg bacon in 1lt wine, so 3kg in total.... how much salt, and prague powder would I safely use and how many days would it need to cure? Would you recommend Pops cure? My plan is to cure it, dry it, roll it in crushed dry coriander and smoke it but as I said it is my first wet cure attempt and I want to feel safe with the amount of prague powder I will use.
Thank you all

Reactions: JLeonard
Maybe indaswamp indaswamp has some insight on this for you. Mixing wine with curing salts can be tricky since the acidity of the wine will burn off the nitrite if in enough volume.

Good morning ev1. Thank you for your time. I come from Cyprus, a small island in the Mediterranean. The product is called lountza, which essentially is a cured smoked pork loin.
We also do wine-cured sausages, bacon, and something very close to prosciutto, but smokier, saltier with a red wine hint. The artisans that used to make them even had a 2-room smoker where they lit the fire with the aromatic bushes in one room, and the smoke would fill the 2nd room where the meats were hanging. The process would take over 3 weeks to complete - now everything is industrialized and does not even come close to the traditional process. Mind you, the old veterans did not even have a clue as to what Prague Powder is. I have mastered making bacon and ham using the dry cure method, however I would very much like to replicate to a certain extent the old method but definitely in a safe way.

Here is a sample recipe as found online, and reading it you will realize the frustration.
Ingredients:
1 small piece of pork loin
2 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
1 tbsp crushed cumin seeds
1 bottle dry red wine
Salt & pepper to season

Preparation:
Season the pork loin with salt and half the spices. Place in a deep bowl and cover with wine.
Leave to marinate for eight days, turning daily and adding more wine as necessary.
Drain and season well with the remaining spices. Hang to dry in the sun or a well ventilated place.
Cut into slices and serve raw, grilled or fried.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky