Second bacon batch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Local store I get my meat from started selling pork bellies at a good price compared to so many places so I bought 3 and doing the dry rub I tried the first round about 2 years ago
1.5% salt .75% sugar .25% cure 1 I also added some SE and california ham spice at .1% waiting roughly 12-14 days then smoking!! First time I smoked to 145 internal …like to hear everyone else’s thought does everyone smoke to cooked temp or stop at a certain internal temp since it is bacon and usually does get cooked anyway?

202BC0AC-C71A-4A39-B4E8-219B7D00A540.jpeg

For me it’s time and temp. Meaning that I’ll take it to 145 if it goes long enough. The color is what I really shoot for. If the color is good at 4 hours and 130-135* I just pull it and cool it. If at 3-4 hours the color isn’t there yet I push them towards 5 hours but seldom go beyond 5 hours regardless.

For me it’s time and temp. Meaning that I’ll take it to 145 if it goes long enough. The color is what I really shoot for. If the color is good at 4 hours and 130-135* I just pull it and cool it. If at 3-4 hours the color isn’t there yet I push them towards 5 hours but seldom go beyond 5 hours regardless.
sounds good thanks!

I shoot for 145 but I've had them not want to go too much higher than 135. The last batch I did this weekend I pulled at around 138, but looking at the time/temp table, they were technically pasteurized at that point because they sat at that temp so long well over 30 minutes. They had been on the smoker 6 or 7 hours. Technically you can just cold smoke them too though if they are cured. I went about 5 hours cooking at a pit temp of 150 and then bumped it up to 180.

Reactions: slavikborisov
Bacon in the smoker I finally get to try out my sable cold smoke generator as well for extra flavor … got the pellet hopper set at 160 and throwing extra smoke at it with the generator from Smoking it… added course black pepper to one of the bellies … see you in a couple hours

Attachments

• 30CBD3AB-788A-4AF7-89C0-2626EFC5A402.jpeg
    30CBD3AB-788A-4AF7-89C0-2626EFC5A402.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 76B34A4B-6CE6-4937-B82F-00F9CF5F8C81.png
    76B34A4B-6CE6-4937-B82F-00F9CF5F8C81.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 15
I shoot for 135-140F
I find doing the lower temps the bacon does not burn as bad when cooking. Most recipes hold a lot of sugar that tends to burn your bacon when cooking so low and slow even for cooking the bacon is recommended.
20191016_162310.jpg
20191017_121435.jpg

Reactions: biged57 and 02ebz06
I guess I'm different. Since pork fat begins to render at 135°, when warm smoking all day, I usually stop at 128° IT or so. I use Bearcarver's temp & time index.

LOve my big Hobart slicer for slicing bacon but what a pain to clean. LOL
really? I find it very easy to clean? everything comes right off and some hot water and soap on the stainless parts and its cleaned right up.. i guess the gap between the blade and guard is tight but i just feed and a small wet wash towel to get the junk and another one soaked in food grade sanitizer other than that its pretty painless in my opinion

Dang that looks awesome. I'm getting ready to smoke my first sausage this weekend and now I'm already looking ahead to doing bacon!

Ya parts come off but still you need to take it all apart to get it all. Unless you have a big sink its a pain. Had mine for years and years so I guess I am just venting on my old Hobart ....poor thing. I guess I should go give it a hug :emoji_wink: View attachment 690838
key word big sink .. yes i feel your pain used to wash in the bathtub... i got a big 3 bay sink last year made life so much easier

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky