Ref; Some smokey bacon..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I'll just do a link to my google album for this.

I was doing buckboard and it's darn cold here, took alot more time then expected to get these pieces to the temps I wanted, and boy it looks like it took the smoke well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xiSAUQ4SzocBjRmg8

Now tommorrow is the day I slice it up and get to sample..The berbere should be interesting. The smaller piece had 1/2 tsp in the cure mix, the bigger had 3/4 tsp.

Looks really good Tom, waiting for pics of the slices fried up.

Chris

Well no fried up picture but I got it sliced. <I already ate my samples!>

This boneless butt seemed to have alot more fat in it, but that doesn't overly bother me much. The Berbere seasoning was not as expected, hot. It added a complex spice flavour and I think it entirely might be better then Black Pepper.

Then again it might be I was super hungry, but when my dad tries it, we'll see what he thinks. As an aside; having the extra fat means I can basically 'scorch' this buckboard and thats how I always liked regular bacon. Till it basically is near black, and then melts in your mouth when bit.

Attachments

• 20181223_132847.jpg
    20181223_132847.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181223_132853.jpg
    20181223_132853.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: gmc2003
Well I packaged it all up, had some difficulties..maybe my FoodSaver is going. I don't know. I sure hope not <I had to trash two bags because it just wouldn't start vaccum sealing until I cut them longer. Yeesh>

I decided to give a pound and a half of the black pepper bacon to my aunt and uncle who are hosting Xmas, since they already want me to make them pulled pork...drum up a little more business for bacon, eh?

Attachments

• 20181223_152611.jpg
    20181223_152611.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Tex1911
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky