I made some amazing St. Louis ribs yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin91

Original poster
Jan 22, 2024
I'm pretty new to BBQ'ing with a smoker, and I've had a few hiccups trying to get it right on my new Weber Smokey Mountain. Yesterday, I followed the "Minion Method" and tried the 3-2-1 method. After 3 hours, I wrapped the ribs in some foil with vinegar, butter, and brown sugar. 90 minutes after, they were already fall-off-the-bone tender. I'm not sure if I did it "right", as it cooked more quickly than expected, but I really liked it!

I'm pretty new to BBQ'ing with a smoker, and I've had a few hiccups trying to get it right on my new Weber Smokey Mountain. Yesterday, I followed the "Minion Method" and tried the 3-2-1 method. After 3 hours, I wrapped the ribs in some foil with vinegar, butter, and brown sugar. 90 minutes after, they were already fall-off-the-bone tender. I'm not sure if I did it "right", as it cooked more quickly than expected, but I really liked it!
I started with the 3-2-1 method. But I have switched to smoking till done. Sauce when done or for the last 30 minutes. Done is about 195 Give or take.

I don’t like cooking by time to begin with but that said, I believe the 3-2-1 method was originally made up for running 225* so if running 250-275* you really don’t need to wrap but if you do try a 3-1-1 next time,
I might! The only reason I wrapped them is because my last rib cook turned out a little dry, and I thought that the vinegar might help.

I have noticed the ambient humidity makes a difference also especially if opening and closing the lid more than absolutely needed.

Kevin, I have to say that you did it all wrong. There ain't no pictures!

Seriously, yeah, you did everything you should do with the 3-2-1 method. If they were tasty, then it was a perfect cook!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Hi Kevin
I have a WSM that iI smoke all my meat on. You will have to play around with it until you find the sweet spot on how to adust the dampers. But when you find the right settings on the dampers it will run steady and produce some good cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky