First BuckBoard Bacon for me , 1 as a Christmas thank you gift .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
First BuckBoard Bacon for me , 1 as a Christmas thank you gift .

Well it turned out great and will be happening more , especially as I only kept 2 little pieces. LOl

Bought a pork shoulder and removed the bone and the skin. 1 really nice piece and a small one and some pieces.
Weighed them out and did up the dry cure mix, as I always do. .0025 cure, .0175 salt, .015 sugar ( brown ) X weight of each piece of the meat

Put in bags and in the fridge for 14 days ( actually 15 days been busy ) turning and rub every day.

Rinsed and pat dry and in the fridge for a day, and that turned into 2 .
Rubbed with lots of black pepper and brown sugar. In the smoker at 225 +/- until IT of 145. Pulled them and they were 145 and 146, pretty close in the temps outside yesterday. -7C ( -13C wind chill ) with wind of 70 - 90 km for the last 3 days

In the bags with the cure mix they were flat and completely coated and rubbed well. and dried flat also
Before going into the smoker I like to tie up to get the shape I want.

1.JPG

2.JPG 4 (2).JPG

They are in the smoker with what was suppose to be my supper yesterday also. That is an other post
It just took a day longer to enjoy.
5.JPG 4.JPG

So they reached the right temp and out they come to cool. Than wrap and into the fridge for another night

9.JPG

Pulled and sliced and tasted , love this BB bacon.
Like I mentioned the large piece is for a friend at the contractors desk at the building supply place I have been using for 30 plus years. Better then the big bottle I normally used to give him. And I feel better then giving booze anyway.

I slice the big one because I was nervous about giving someone something with out me knowing what it looks like inside. So just did the one cut in the middle and glued it back together, just kidding. Just making sure you are paying attention.
Had to check all looks good, By not slicing in small packs , he can slice as thick or as thin as he wants . It was a little over 2 pounds . He was very happy with it.

12.JPG
13.JPG

I made mine the little one more rounded as it will fit on burgers much better this way. And it is very tasty.

10.JPG

Well thats it my first turn at BB Bacon. and will happen again after new years as I only have a little bit for me .
But glad I did this for my friend.

David

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 15
Nice David . That is an addicting smoke for sure . Fry some up until crisp . Love it like that . Nice work bud .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice David . That is an addicting smoke for sure . Fry some up until crisp . Love it like that . Nice work bud .

Thanks Rich for the like and the comment

Yes will be frying up for breakfast tomorrow , and Bought a couple pork shoulders
so putting one in the cure on Sunday morning so it is ready to smoke in the new year

And yes very addicting, this might be my go to instead of loins , I think.

David

Alright that settles it. No BBB throw-downs. LOL

Looks fantastic David. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
What was the total time from cure applied to fry?
Eric Late Dec 4th , cured and in the fridge. Early 19th out of cure bags, rinsed and padded dry and back in fridge. Dec 21st smoked.

Is there something I did in the length of rest in the fridge after washed. Now you have me worried.

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Alright that settles it. No BBB throw-downs. LOL

Looks fantastic David. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Ha Ha , thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Yes it came out nice

Come on Chris, that's not fare, next you will be saying no potatoes in the throwdowns also.

David

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
You nailed it David! I really need to get some going. I love it and my friends go bananas for it too. To me it's like a,cross between bacon and country ham.

You nailed it David! I really need to get some going. I love it and my friends go bananas for it too. To me it's like a,cross between bacon and country ham.

Thanks Jeff for the like and the comment

And that is why I did not slice for my friend . So he can pick how he wants to go about eating, frying or for sandwiches.

Either way it is tasty .

David

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky