Ref; No Foil Spare Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So Aldi's had 2 dollar a pound spare ribs, and when I looked at the ribs they were St Louis cut to boot. Not a bad deal, so I got two racks. One bigger, one smaller. <I didn't feel like bothering any one to look in their stock room for more>.

My plan right now is to apply a rub on Friday night, start these around Noonish Saturday.

I plan to run at 240f with pellets smoking away, What should I expect? 4 Hours? 4.5? 5? I want these tender, but not the bone sliding out. Trying to replicate the feel of the ones the only BBQ place does. They're tender but not fall apart, but the meat pulls away when you bite in. You can strip it easily with the fork/knife if you wanted there.

If you foil then cut back on the amount of time in the foil to help alleviate fotb. The 321 method is for 225*. So keep an eye on the ribs if cooking at 240*. I like to use the bend test for checking when their done. Just pick the ribs up with your tongs about a third to half way down. They should freely bend to a 45 degree angle when finished. Have fun and let us know how they turn out.

Edit: whoops sorry, I just reread your title. You said No Foil. Disregard my suggestion please.

Chris.

I use a thin probe therm to check the IT of the ribs. If you want juicy, but not quite FOTB tender, then 195 IT will give you that.
Al

Have not foiled anything at all during the smoke as of late. I run 275F but ribs are usually 5-6hrs BUT all the ribs I get are very meaty compared to ones shown on the tv ads for Applebees etc. I take to 200F and then foil and rest overnight. Sear and sauce on the grill and serve. Not sure what you mean by BBQ place but my way is how them do them here and grilling is the key.

I use a thin probe therm to check the IT of the ribs. If you want juicy, but not quite FOTB tender, then 195 IT will give you that.
Al
I don't think my thermal probes will quite work. Will have to just rely on the instant read after a few hours to try and get a temp reading Al. Where do you get an ultra thin probe for this stuff?

Have not foiled anything at all during the smoke as of late. I run 275F but ribs are usually 5-6hrs BUT all the ribs I get are very meaty compared to ones shown on the tv ads for Applebees etc. I take to 200F and then foil and rest overnight. Sear and sauce on the grill and serve. Not sure what you mean by BBQ place but my way is how them do them here and grilling is the key.
I know with out a doubt, mine are not that meaty. Sure wish they were, but they aren't. Now if Humdinger pops in he might be able to clarify the type of ribs I'm going for. We grabbed dinner there when he was working up in WI.

Instant read all the way. LOVE MINE. Works perfect on ribs. My Maverick is collecting dust.

We got some model or another that takes about 30 seconds to give a good reading. I'll have to invest in one of those fancy ones you guys use ;)

Instead of a second thread I'll upload pictures here. I'm getting the prep work done tonight as much as I can. When you've got a migraine from being carsick, you don't quite always have the capacity to deal with raw meat..

Since I got these at Aldi's, and I got some BBQ Rub at Aldi's, I plan to run with every thing I can being from Aldi's. No idea what they'll be served with if any thing!

Attachments

• 20181012_222356.jpg
    20181012_222356.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20181012_222512.jpg
    20181012_222512.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181012_222531.jpg
    20181012_222531.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181012_222545.jpg
    20181012_222545.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 40
So for the smaller rack I tried the other kind of rub I got. The first one my mom said she liked, my dad said 'it reminds me of taco seasoning but sweeter'. I really hope the big rack turns out alright. Second one is like souped up SPOG or some thing. I like them big ole grinds of pepper in it. Coarser then even the pepper I buy.

Attachments

• 20181012_232013.jpg
    20181012_232013.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20181012_232111.jpg
    20181012_232111.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181012_233646.jpg
    20181012_233646.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181012_234150.jpg
    20181012_234150.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 39
Al
Should I spritz? Thats a question I have now after brian suggested doing so. I wasn't planning on it, but I don't know if I should or not now..

I spritz mine with a combo of apple juice & brown sugar about every 45 minutes or so.
Al

Well given I've now had almost every one say Spritz, I guess I will. I'll use a bottle of hard cider I got, ribs..hard cider. seems like a good match. I was originally not even going to spritz, but when I got two gurus of BBQ telling me to do so.. better use it as my baseline.

Ribs popped in at 250f. Will be spritzing in about 45 minutes with a spray of hard cider...and drinking the stuff not used in spraying..or make a snake bite..choices!

The sweet heat rub is on top. The 'Ultimate' rub is on the bottom. Be interesting to see how they turn out. The wind is gusting so much here I can't see if the smoke is TBS or not. It should be, but who knows.

Attachments

• 20181013_145059.jpg
    20181013_145059.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 36
I only spritz if there are looking dry and spare ribs have ton of fat. Dout u will need to spritz. If u don’t wanna spritz put butter on them once if there looking dry. One thing about spritzing is u will cool down the meat making it take longer to cook.

So I found out one rack was St Louis Cut..the other was not. Rather odd, but oh well. I think they turned out good, maybe a bit to much rub..or ..the rub wasn't good quality, tad salty. Dipping them in sauce would have hidden that right up.

My mother did some how think some were 'undercooked' ...we're not sure how. I think they'd have been better if both had been actually St Louis cut <and I used a better rub>. I some how expected darker bark like I get with a pork butt, but again, might just be the rub I used.

Attachments

• 20181013_194417.jpg
    20181013_194417.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: gmc2003
I'm not into heavy bark so yours looks fine to me. Where the ribs bite thru or did you have to kind of give them a good tug?

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky