Ref; Black Pepper Ginger Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
We'll see how this turns out..I recently had a mango ginger Stilton cheese that inspired me to this idea. Can I make a bacon that is both peppery, but has that refreshing zing of ginger? We'll find out!

I did 2 TBS of coarse grind black pepper <resturaunt grind from GFS> 1 TBS of normal, and 1 TBS of ginger powder.

Probably made to much of the stuff to be fair, alot falls off, but well. 3 parts of black pepper to one part ginger.

I'm going to hot smoke it on apple/adler to see how it turns out!

Attachments

• 20190104_125252.jpg
    20190104_125252.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190104_125525.jpg
    20190104_125525.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 22
Looks like a great start Tom. I've made several batches of Canadian Bacon and all have been cured/smoked with black pepper. The typical "sweetener" for it is brown sugar but I see no reason that ginger won't work....but I'm not an expert by any means :-) When playing the food games we play, you're only limited by your imagination on what you can create. My thought is "GO FOR IT!!". The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you'll write it off as a learning experience. The best thing is that you'll get at least close to your target and love what you've accomplished. Keep us posted please. you have my curiosity up now.

Robert

I considered a ginger curry..but first I want to see what happens with ginger. Some spices are virtually eliminated when you smoke the food...

I know Disco's berbere buckboard bacon is my new standard, thats for sure!

Disco was my mentor for Canadian (Back) Bacon and I've loved every bit of it that I've made....as have a lot of my friends. I tend to share stuff that I've created and that is one of the most-asked-for repeat items from people.

Did you just add the ginger before smoking or did you apply it before curing? My thought would be that if it's just added before smoking you may not get much flavor from it. I've always put the brown sugar and pepper on first along with the cure, cured the pork, washed it, then added more pepper, let it sit overnight, then smoked it. The reason I ask is that you have me thinking of some other interesting flavor combinations to try out :-)

Robert

Disco was my mentor for Canadian (Back) Bacon and I've loved every bit of it that I've made....as have a lot of my friends. I tend to share stuff that I've created and that is one of the most-asked-for repeat items from people.

Did you just add the ginger before smoking or did you apply it before curing? My thought would be that if it's just added before smoking you may not get much flavor from it. I've always put the brown sugar and pepper on first along with the cure, cured the pork, washed it, then added more pepper, let it sit overnight, then smoked it. The reason I ask is that you have me thinking of some other interesting flavor combinations to try out :-)

Robert
I did the normal cure method and did a 30 minute soak, then I pat it dry.

Then I add the ginger and pepper mix over it and rub it in and let it sit overnight in my fridge to form pellicle. I'm not sure what is the best method honestly for adding a coating of spices before smoking. I've tried it before pellicle, and after pellicle. I find it sticks better before the pellicle is form at any rate.

Brought it up to about 151-153f IT and letting it cool before an overnight in the fridge. Tommorrow I shall slice and and taste!

Attachments

• 20190105_165155.jpg
    20190105_165155.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16
I can say this with out a doubt; a 3 to 1 ratio with the pepper largely over powers the ginger.

I'm going to try to add ginger to the cure though. This is very very light on ginger. Just a brief zing and then the pepper takes over. Which isn't bad persay, but I wanted that refreshing finish ginger can offer. Well. Experiments Experients..!

Attachments

• 20190106_102904.jpg
    20190106_102904.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 14
I considered a ginger curry..but first I want to see what happens with ginger. Some spices are virtually eliminated when you smoke the food...

Berbere buckboard? Link?

Hey Tom....
Ginger is one of the main spices in memphis style rib rub...it goes great with smoked pork and should do well on your CB.

I should have read the date on this thread....

For more ginger punch, I would try rubbing the meat down with ginger juice pressed from ginger root, and use the liquid to adhere the spices to the meat....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky