Bratwurst aficionados question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
So I’m playing with German sausage now. It’s way outside my flavor profile but I’ve had some that is very good. I have a very good Weisswurst recipe and make it a few times a year, it’s a nice flavor brake from the normal. Now I’m playing with a fresh brat recipe that I just made up, it follows along most of the recipes I’ve seen so no surprises spice wise. It’s good but just kind of flat flavor wise, I like the fact that nothing smacks you in the face and the profile of spice seems to be there but one spice needs to be increased or maybe even added. Something is missing. So to all you German bratwurst magicians out there critique my recipe with additions or increases would be much appreciated.

Bratwurst:
Per 1Kg ground pork. (80/20 butt grind)

Salt) 1.5%

Cardamom) 1g

White pepper) 1g

Black pepper) 1g

Coriander) 1g

Mace) .5g

Ginger) 1g

Grind 3/4 the meat through 1/4” plate then grind rest of meat through 1/8” plate.

What am I missing for a really great Bratwurst? Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited:
Maybe caraway or lemon zest?
I’m still on the fence about caraway but maybe. I almost added lemon zest but I know it cannot be authentic because no lemon trees in Germany although I use zest in my weisswurst and like it but I taste a “citrus” flavor about cardamom and just left it there.

Reactions: DougE
So to all you German bratwurst magicians out there critique my recipe with additions or increases would be much appreciated.
Oh brother, I'm following this thread because some of the most lively conversations on sausage I've had involved German sausage, and bratwurst.

At first glance your recipe does not have nutmeg, however... mace is the husk or seed covering of nutmeg, so I'm guessing you have that flavor covered.

Next up, I see you have a combination of white pepper and black pepper. This works flavor wise in many sausages, especially German and bratwurst. 👍

Let's talk garlic 😎.... softly. It's not a traditional brat seasoning, but Americanized bratwurst recipes will sneak some garlic in there.

Now we come to the fun part... the 'signature' seasonings. These are the seasonings that make a recipe stand out from others. Sage, paprika and rosemary are something to consider. Just yesterday, I did a test batch of brats that used beer instead of icy water, and a small amount of all spice (1%) as the signature spice.

For giggles, here is a recipe to check out, and it only takes 1# of ground pork:

Bratwurst Meatballs with Cheese Filling
1lb ground pork
1 egg, whisked
A handful of Panko
Cubes of gouda cheese (or any melting cheese you like)

For the seasoning mix:
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground sage
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed between your fingers
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Icy water as needed
Combine all ingredients, mix well. Form meatballs around a cube of cheese. Bake or grill indirect.

Last edited:
I'm not a caraway fan in brats.
Maybe a touch of MSG 0.1%?
I tried mustard powder in a batch and my wife gagged.
I like a touch of garlic in a brat.
I've had brat with sage, but that makes it too breakfasty for my mind set.

Add egg and cream. You will thank me.
Never heard of cream,
One of the German recipes from Marianski calls for 1 egg white per kg.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
All good and welcoming posts. This is already breakfast in its profile and sage would take it over the top that way. I’ve done cream and egg and while good it’s not a spice. I’m thinking more Johnsonville and there is a particular flavor. Maybe it’s Allspice? Idk, like I said it’s way out of my spice profile.

As a side I did add .5 g of garlic powder not granulated. The sausage is delicious just missing a punch that says Germany. Maybe I’m making to much out of it. Will cook these in beer tonight with cabbage and pressured pork meat to pull with some spuds. Will be good but just looking for more.

To me the central theme of near all german brats is white pepper (WP). MUST be fresh ground. No other way. Other spices not so critical but WP is. I like ALOT of the suggestions already mentioned but to me a fresh brat must have some acidity. indaswamp indaswamp suggestion of egg/cream is good one. The reason it's a good idea is not the milk or added fat per se, but the acidity. I used Vit C (ascorbic acid) before and it works well as does lemon juice. Citric acid is common in pro formulas, sodium lactate too but not so easy for us to get. IMO these acids "brighten" up the flavor and make the spices come alive. Without the acid, the flavor is kinda dull. Common BFast sausages acidity that starts approaching tang level almost like a ferment.

I have never had bratwurst better than this one by Polka Polka When I make this I actually sell a bunch to locals. I know that anytime I make it 20 lbs will go in a day. I do patt is with it. Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice:

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract (NOT 20!) (or 2 tsp zest)
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

^^^^^Yes, cream.....it makes a huge difference.
Done the cream and cream and egg before. Nothing that moves the earth. However I fried these tonight and poach finished in beer. They were delicious. German sausage is new to me flavor wise but I’m warming up to the flavor.

Well, for me the cream and the egg make a huge difference. The richness of the cream really goes with the brat spices IMO. I received an authentic recipe from my friend in Michigan about 6 years ago and that was the first time I had seen cream in a brat. Best brat I have ever had. Though Polka's Lemon brats are good too as mentioned earlier.

Done the cream and cream and egg before. Nothing that moves the earth. However I fried these tonight and poach finished in beer. They were delicious. German sausage is new to me flavor wise but I’m warming up to the flavor.
Yup. so, many varieties of bratwurst... Egg and cream are optional. A bratwurst in one Gernan village is different than the bratwurst in another village 30 minutes away. Never had a bad one though!

This is out of one of my books. I haven't made it myself, but the spice profile is in line. (yeah it's in spoons and shovels lol)

This is for a 3lb batch

1.5lb lean pork butt or shoulder
1lb boneless veal shoulder (optional as it can be made with all pork)
1/2lb pork backfat
1tsp Kosher salt
1tsp freshly ground white pepper
1/2tsp crushed caraway seeds
1/2tsp marjoram
1/4tsp ground allspice

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'm a brat eating fool, but have never made them. Bookmarked for future reference. So much good info! I grabbed a pack of Kroger brats that caught my eye the other day, but I'm sure it's not a German fave.. Hot Honey Limited Edition Bratwust.

This is out of one of my books. I haven't made it myself, but the spice profile is in line. (yeah it's in spoons and shovels lol)

This is for a 3lb batch

1.5lb lean pork butt or shoulder
1lb boneless veal shoulder (optional as it can be made with all pork)
1/2lb pork backfat
1tsp Kosher salt
1tsp freshly ground white pepper
1/2tsp crushed caraway seeds
1/2tsp marjoram
1/4tsp ground allspice
I’m curious how common the allspice is in brats. I see it often in recipes. I’ll have to keep poking at it, it’s just strange to me making sausage with some spices that are typically used in baking, although the mace in my bologna and hotdogs is absolutely point on, so I need to keep venturing out on this one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky