Bratwurst aficionados question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm a brat eating fool, but have never made them. Bookmarked for future reference. So much good info! I grabbed a pack of Kroger brats that caught my eye the other day, but I'm sure it's not a German fave.. Hot Honey Limited Edition Bratwust.
The recipe I posted is delicious as is. The German spices and flavors are all over the map and much different than most others. This is a challenge and a fun road to go down. If I can figure this one out maybe I’ll head down the oriental trail next. It’s all a never ending rabbit hole.

Reactions: mr_whipple
I’m curious how common the allspice is in brats. I see it often in recipes. I’ll have to keep poking at it, it’s just strange to me making sausage with some spices that are typically used in baking, although the mace in my bologna and hotdogs is absolutely point on, so I need to keep venturing out on this one.
The recipe states they are swapping out mace for allspice.

Inspired by Nuremberger "rostbratwurst".

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The recipe I posted is delicious as is. The German spices and flavors are all over the map and much different than most others. This is a challenge and a fun road to go down. If I can figure this one out maybe I’ll head down the oriental trail next. It’s all a never ending rabbit hole.
Maybe because various regions in Germany have their own version of what they call bratwurst. Thats why there are so many variables in the recipe.

Reading this and all I can think about is a brat made with some of Jeff's Nuclear Nectar!!!
20231113_190151.jpg

Maybe because various regions in Germany have their own version of what they call bratwurst. Thats why there are so many variables in the recipe.
Not just regionally, but locally.

Same thing when I was in Poland. Polska Kielbasa was just a little bit different wherever you went.

Reactions: DougE
I miss the Chef Jimmy J when it comes to spices threads.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
All the spices you listed in your original post were moving across Europe by 1,000's thanks to the Roman empire and the spice trade.
Add the mint family of oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, marjoram, savory, thyme, etc. the Romans brought with them. Let's not forget onion and garlic.
Lemon was later, but they did bring limes

thirdeye thirdeye
Allspice is a new world (along with chilies, such as pimento) and did not spread across Europe and into Asia until well into the 1600's.

Recipes have changed a lot since the new world and world wide explosion of spices.

The recipe I posted is delicious as is. The German spices and flavors are all over the map and much different than most others.

I'm friends with a family that has roots to Germany, and happens to have a "family" recipe that has been handed down for a few generations. The Brothers started making 100 pound batches every February around 20 years ago, and they have now increased this to just under 1,000 pounds and get 7 or 8 helpers on stuffing day. They do contract out the grinding and seasoning. Their version of German sausage has just the basics: salt, white pepper, black pepper, garlic, and a small amount of Tender Quick for color only.

Allspice is a new world (along with chilies, such as pimento) and did not spread across Europe and into Asia until well into the 1600's.
I'm not saying that timeline isn't correct, but Columbus brought allspice back to Europe from the West Indies so they may have had access to it prior to then.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I miss the Chef Jimmy J when it comes to spices threads.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
All the spices you listed in your original post were moving across Europe by 1,000's thanks to the Roman empire and the spice trade.
Add the mint family of oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, marjoram, savory, thyme, etc. the Romans brought with them. Let's not forget onion and garlic.
Lemon was later, but they did bring limes

thirdeye thirdeye

Recipes have changed a lot since the new world and world wide explosion of spices.
This is a fun journey for sure. Spices are subjective and to me in most cases, less is more.

I don't need anymore rabbit holes, no more rabbit holes... but I'll follow along!

Ryan

Bratwurst is one of those sausages where no one flavor should dominate, but the spices should all complement each other without one standing out as the star of the show. My opinion anyhow.
That works for me. Just digging for popular consensus.

Exactly. Except for when I’m going for a spice like Chile or fennel. But generally yes it’s balance that wins every time with most all flavors.

Bratwurst is one of those sausages where no one flavor should dominate, but the spices should all complement each other without one standing out as the star of the show. My opinion anyhow.
And balance is why there is so many variations from area to area and even family to family. Personal taste
I'm still working on a brat recipe that meets my wife's taste buds.
I have pork breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean Clone) pretty well nailed for us, but our daughter does not like it as she doesn't care for ginger forward taste that many consider the Jimmy Dean trademark.
Made a batch over the weekend and well I had a gin influenced brain fart and I used 1/10 the normal ginger. Wife didn't notice and I didn't either. Daughter will be here in a month to run it past her.
I also notice that any sausage tastes a lot different depending on the source of your meat or meats. I also make breakfast sausage with about 50% venison in the JD recipe. Wife loves it, but there is something just missing for me.

Sorry for the sidebar, but I felt it is relevant to the bratwurst theme, too.

Lots of good info and recipes posted are pretty much on point. Might be a little busy technically (too many spices) but otherwise fine. Totally agree mild (less is more) and balanced is the way. IMO take it easy on the top note stuff like the mace/nutmeg/cardamom. While I do agree sausage in Germany is all over the place, there are definitely regional patterns you can follow.
https://www.tastingtable.com/1277974/regional-varieties-german-bratwurst-explained/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky