Prime rib???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I would like to know the difference between a 1st cut Prime rib and a Center cut Prime rib? Which would be the better cut?
Thanks Dan

I don't know the difference (if there is one?) but i would say the better of the two is the one that set you back less!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I don't know the difference (if there is one?) but i would say the better of the two is the one that set you back less!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Hi The 1st cut is the more expensive of the two. I couldn't tell the difference between the two cuts.
Thanks Dan

I'm not sure which end they are calling the 1st cut, but as I recall they say the thinner end tends to have more marbling and flavor. The larger end of the PR is where the Chuck starts.

Choosing the Right Roast
BY COOK'S ILLUSTRATED PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 2011
Choosing the right roast is almost as important as deciding how to cook it.

While testing our Best Prime Rib recipe, we discovered that choosing the right roast was almost as important as deciding how to cook it. Butchers tend to cut a whole rib roast (which contains seven ribs) into two 3-rib roasts, known most commonly as first-cut and second-cut roasts. Our recipe calls for a 3-bone first-cut roast, which sits closer to the loin end of the cow and consists of ribs 10 through 12. First-cut roasts feature more of the flavorful, tender rib-eye muscle than do second-cut roasts (ribs 6 through 8 or 9), which are comprised of a mix of smaller muscles and more pockets of fat.

We usually buy a 4 bone roast & I ask for it to be cut off the small end, which as you say is closer to the loin.
I like to keep ours intact, not boned & tied back up.
Al

We usually buy a 4 bone roast & I ask for it to be cut off the small end, which as you say is closer to the loin.
I like to keep ours intact, not boned & tied back up.
Al

I have cooked bone in and boneless and i prefer boneless because its easier to cook. The first couple of roasts i did i had the bones in sliced away and then seasoned under and tied back on. those didn't cook as evenly as the boneless ones i cooked. i can round off the boneless ones and the shape helps the cooking process. (the science behind it can be found at a few other smoking sites.) As far as getting the more expensive cut i usually go by the philosophy that great BBQ is about taking the cheapest thing you can find and making the best thing you have ever ate. But i can understand a holiday splurge too.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: noboundaries
Here is my 5 lb center cut beauty!!
56zHCSzm.jpg
[/IMG]
56zHCSzm.jpg

Dan

Don't read any further unless you want to put up with my RANT!

Am I the only one with the pet peeve that every rib roast being called "Prime Rib"? As a consumer, I am so fed up with labeling issues at the meat market! And this issue (as old as it is) is just scratching the surface lately. It has really gotten out of hand!

The names “rib roast” and “prime rib roast” are often used synonymously, however this is a bit of a misnomer. In short, what you need to know is that BOTH by all accounts, are the SAME CUT OF BEEF. But they can also be boneless or bone-in. The way beef is graded by USDA standards, “Prime” grade beef is the highest quality and has the best marbling. Technically a “prime rib roast” should mean that it is prime grade, but it doesn’t in this special case. It is commonly excepted nowadays to call and label any ol’ rib roast “prime rib roast”. Unfortunately that doesn’t guarantee that it is prime grade, but it is marketed this way to consumers by taking advantage of the misnomer. An actual prime grade ribeye roast will cost up to three times or more in price! Unless it is specifically labeled “USDA Prime Grade” you are getting the same cut of “prime rib”.

To make matters worse, lets cut that same piece of meat into steaks: Ribeye steaks are just steaks cut out of the same cut of beef. But wait... isn't that a "Rib steak"? No... Ribeyes and rib steaks ARE the same thing, however, typically the difference that you will see at the store is that ribeyes are usually boneless, and rib steaks are bone-in. …. That is of course, including a PRICE difference as well! Do you like to pay $7 + per lb for bone that you won’t be eating? But again, the butcher can sell those ribs for a premium if they are cut out! I know it can be confusing…

This labeling issue is just one of many I see at the meat counter that do nothing but confuse consumers to increase your perceived value. (The seafood industry labeling issue is an even worse problem!) Meat mongers go to great length to maximize yield profits and minimize waste or unsellable products by how they separate out and make the different cuts from the larger (primal) cuts. Each will command a different price per lb. at current market prices. In this very example… when you buy boneless ribeye, they will sell the beef ribs that were cut out of it and get more $$ per lb than if they were left on the ribeye. Just check out what beef plate ribs or short ribs go for per lb.!

Now there is this new thing called CAB: which is yet another labeling that is “Certified Angus Beef”. Angus is a specific breed that is known for their quality of table fare, otherwise if not specifically labeled, do you never really know what heritage breed of beef you are getting? So does that mean if not specifically labeled, you could be buying any old dairy cow beef or something like that? At least this is a step in the right direction, but remember this "Certified Angus" label is still designed for profiteering. Wagu or "Kobe" beef is just the next generation of this example of a high quality breed extorting more dollars from the consumer. If you assumed that means that the animal must have 100% pure breed to meet this label, you would be WRONG!

Grass fed, organic, no antibiotics or hormones, GMO free, free range, Certificate of Origin, the list goes on... So many labels and certifications!

As much as I would like to think everything mentioned above was to PROTECT the consumer and HELP them make good decisions about what they pay for to feed themselves and their family... sadly it is not. And sadly the much larger percentage of our population is IGNORANT or simply MISINFORMED by what you are told that is good or bad for you or what is "BEST" to buy.

So in closing I am saying to OP: Get whichever end of the rib roast you can afford, or else buy the WHOLE (primal) untrimmed Rib roast if you can in the cryovac sealed plastic bag and save yourself some money in the long run.

[End Rant]

Reactions: noboundaries
ULNNNW2.jpg
[/IMG]
Yes I am
Were did you get that one?
Richie

ShopRite has them on sale this week and next week with the coupon that is in their weekly specials.
This one didn't come out as good as I hoped..My terms were off. My chef alarm was reading 140 when I checked with my therapen it read 160!!
Now what do with all the leftovers, pepper steak??

Dan
ULNNNW2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't read any further unless you want to put up with my RANT!

Am I the only one with the pet peeve that every rib roast being called "Prime Rib"? As a consumer, I am so fed up with labeling issues at the meat market! And this issue (as old as it is) is just scratching the surface lately. It has really gotten out of hand!

The names “rib roast” and “prime rib roast” are often used synonymously, however this is a bit of a misnomer. In short, what you need to know is that BOTH by all accounts, are the SAME CUT OF BEEF. But they can also be boneless or bone-in. The way beef is graded by USDA standards, “Prime” grade beef is the highest quality and has the best marbling. Technically a “prime rib roast” should mean that it is prime grade, but it doesn’t in this special case. It is commonly excepted nowadays to call and label any ol’ rib roast “prime rib roast”. Unfortunately that doesn’t guarantee that it is prime grade, but it is marketed this way to consumers by taking advantage of the misnomer. An actual prime grade ribeye roast will cost up to three times or more in price! Unless it is specifically labeled “USDA Prime Grade” you are getting the same cut of “prime rib”.

To make matters worse, lets cut that same piece of meat into steaks: Ribeye steaks are just steaks cut out of the same cut of beef. But wait... isn't that a "Rib steak"? No... Ribeyes and rib steaks ARE the same thing, however, typically the difference that you will see at the store is that ribeyes are usually boneless, and rib steaks are bone-in. …. That is of course, including a PRICE difference as well! Do you like to pay $7 + per lb for bone that you won’t be eating? But again, the butcher can sell those ribs for a premium if they are cut out! I know it can be confusing…

This labeling issue is just one of many I see at the meat counter that do nothing but confuse consumers to increase your perceived value. (The seafood industry labeling issue is an even worse problem!) Meat mongers go to great length to maximize yield profits and minimize waste or unsellable products by how they separate out and make the different cuts from the larger (primal) cuts. Each will command a different price per lb. at current market prices. In this very example… when you buy boneless ribeye, they will sell the beef ribs that were cut out of it and get more $$ per lb than if they were left on the ribeye. Just check out what beef plate ribs or short ribs go for per lb.!

Now there is this new thing called CAB: which is yet another labeling that is “Certified Angus Beef”. Angus is a specific breed that is known for their quality of table fare, otherwise if not specifically labeled, do you never really know what heritage breed of beef you are getting? So does that mean if not specifically labeled, you could be buying any old dairy cow beef or something like that? At least this is a step in the right direction, but remember this "Certified Angus" label is still designed for profiteering. Wagu or "Kobe" beef is just the next generation of this example of a high quality breed extorting more dollars from the consumer. If you assumed that means that the animal must have 100% pure breed to meet this label, you would be WRONG!

Grass fed, organic, no antibiotics or hormones, GMO free, free range, Certificate of Origin, the list goes on... So many labels and certifications!

As much as I would like to think everything mentioned above was to PROTECT the consumer and HELP them make good decisions about what they pay for to feed themselves and their family... sadly it is not. And sadly the much larger percentage of our population is IGNORANT or simply MISINFORMED by what you are told that is good or bad for you or what is "BEST" to buy.

So in closing I am saying to OP: Get whichever end of the rib roast you can afford, or else buy the WHOLE (primal) untrimmed Rib roast if you can in the cryovac sealed plastic bag and save yourself some money in the long run.

[End Rant]

The word "Prime" by itself only describes the most desirable part of the "rib section" of the beef regardless of the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) Grade.

Gonna see if I'm able to post---Wasn't able to last night.

I usually buy a bunch of Rib Roasts all at once when my stores have the big sales (Usually near holidays).
Almost all of my "Prime Ribs" (Rib Roasts) are from "Choice".
I like to buy them with the bones, but I cut the bone section off, leaving an extra 3/4" to 1" of meat on the bone side of the cut.
Then I save all the bone sections so I can have a Big Beef Dino Rib Smoke, usually when the weather is decent.

Here's what to do with the Trimmed Bones:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

Bear

Last edited:
One of the reasons I haven't smoked a "Prime Rib" roast (mentioned on the Bucket List thread) is that I wait until the holidays, pick up the Choice grade "Prime Ribs" on sale for as low as $5.99/lb, then cut them into rib eye steaks for the freezer. My wife dislikes "prime rib" roasts, but rib eye steak is her favorite cut of meat (don't try to figure that one out. I gave up long ago). It's on my shopping list today to check prices.

5.99 nice!! Just bought a 2.37lb boneless choice rib roast for 11.49 lb gonna try to smoke it for my birthday tomorrow wife doesn’t like it an will be out of town so I’m splurging lol

The Choice grade Prime Rib roasts were $7.98, Select grade $5.98. I looked closely and didnt see much difference between them. Picked up a 6 lb Select roast I'll cut into steaks tomorrow.

Last edited:
The Choice grade Prime Rib roasts were $7.98, Select grade $5.98. I looked closely and didnt see much difference between them. Picked up a 6 lb Select roast I'll cut into steaks tomorrow.

I have always gotten "Choice" Prime Ribs---For years.
Then about a year or so ago Giant had Rib Roast for $5.99, but they were marked "Select". We got one, and when I smoked it the same way I always do, I honestly saw ZERO difference from that "Select" to my usual "Choice". I still get Choice, but mainly because that's usually all my stores have in the display case.

Bear

This is why I love this time of year. A 5.7 lb Select grade Prime Rib roast cut into two bone-in Rib Eye steaks. The bigger one is now vacuum sealed and in the freezer. The smaller one is vacuum sealed with Montreal Steak Seasoning as a dry brine. It will go on the grill tonight.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky