Brisket cost

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
So if you have a choice between PRIME and CHOICE full packer brisket at about a dollar difference in price, Which would you go for? And why?

Jim

I look it over before I even look at the grade , and buy what looks good and passes the bend test .
I buy a lot of beef that is " No Roll " means it hasn't been graded . Never any issues for me . I've also never had prime , so maybe I'm missing out .
All the briskets I buy have been choice . Remember too , that the grade is on a scale .
Can have a grade of choice but be at the high end of the scale just before the prime stamp .
That's why I look it over before looking at the grade stamp .
This is a choice brisket . Nice and thick from end to end . Good marbling too .
20200829_103349.jpg

where do you buy your brisket at? Ive not had good luck at the local butcher as they always seem to always have a small cut piece thats trimmed, but is overdone in a few hours.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks folks for the input. The fella that does the floors where I do my side gig has tasted the flats that I have taken up there for us to eat on. He's asked me to do a full packer for him this weekend. Going to get it put on Early Saturday am to take to him Sunday. I can only hope I find one as pretty as the example chopsaw chopsaw has.

Jim

Jim , If you haven't looked through Gary's old threads you , give them a look . He has some great info in there , even for the experienced brisket guys .

I've done both, more Choice than Prime. The few Primes I've done seemed a bit more dry than the Choice. Always do the exact same things when cooking. For that small price difference, I'd go for the Prime as well though.

I'd go prime for the most part, but you also have the "upper 2/3rds" choice like Certified Angus Beef, that are generally very close to prime. Also a Creekstone Farm's choice is better than a Sam's prime. It's not always clear cut.

I'm in the camp of generally $1 more for prime is worth it provided it's not already an arm and a leg AND it matters what you choose no matter the grade.
Market Street (a very small chain here) has $0.99/lb Select grade brisket on sale here. Later today I'm going to go dig through a and get 2 good ones that will easily be Choice quality. This place usually has like 40-50 to dig through.

Gonna do these 2 for Christmas. 1 for my family and one for the new ol' lady's family who just sold their house and are in an Air BnB over the holidays. I bet they will love having an well done 100% Mesquite smoked brisket to eat on while being unable to easily cook for a couple of weeks.
Also gonna give them a big bottle of Rudy's BBQ Sause which should be one hell of a Christmas gift (at least in my eyes) lol.

I'm in the camp of generally $1 more for prime is worth it provided it's not already an arm and a leg AND it matters what you choose no matter the grade.
Market Street (a very small chain here) has $0.99/lb Select grade brisket on sale here. Later today I'm going to go dig through a and get 2 good ones that will easily be Choice quality. This place usually has like 40-50 to dig through.

Gonna do these 2 for Christmas. 1 for my family and one for the new ol' lady's family who just sold their house and are in an Air BnB over the holidays. I bet they will love having an well done 100% Mesquite smoked brisket to eat on while being unable to easily cook for a couple of weeks.
Also gonna give them a big bottle of Rudy's BBQ Sause which should be one hell of a Christmas gift (at least in my eyes)

Whoa, we have market street here. I may have to check that out and see if we have the sale. I'll pick one up and grind it.

$4.98/lb around here would be a steal for choice nevermind prime.
Wow, I am truly shocked. I remember the good ole days when I could pick up a whole packer for $0.49 a pound but now-a-days I typically find choice for about $2.50 a pound. On sale for $1.99 a pound. I just picked up a Prime 20 lb whole packer at Sam's for $4.98 a pound for our family Christmas party this Sunday.

My local Kroger has/had brisket (3.99/lb choice (black stamp) packer) cheaper per lb than other roasts $4.99-8.99/lb. I'll wait for 2.99/lb then grab 2. Still sitting on a 24lb monster in the freezer

I look it over before I even look at the grade , and buy what looks good and passes the bend test .
I buy a lot of beef that is " No Roll " means it hasn't been graded . Never any issues for me . I've also never had prime , so maybe I'm missing out .
All the briskets I buy have been choice . Remember too , that the grade is on a scale .
Can have a grade of choice but be at the high end of the scale just before the prime stamp .
That's why I look it over before looking at the grade stamp .
This is a choice brisket . Nice and thick from end to end . Good marbling too .
View attachment 683343
Wow Rich, that looks like a Wagyu with that thin marbling.

Holy crap at that price I'd be buying a deep freezer full!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky