Pork shoulder (Butt)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leejames12

Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
United Kingdom
FIRST ever trimmed bit of meat thats going to go on my FIRST smoker which arrives tommorrow.

Any pointers, advice. Please be constructive.

Pulled pork, cant wait, once the smoker is seasoned.
The rib bones have been removed, ive trimmed fat all the way round, some good marbeling in this chunk aswell. I feel it will render very good.

Attachments

• 20200428_123955.jpg
    20200428_123955.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200428_121902.jpg
    20200428_121902.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200428_120101.jpg
    20200428_120101.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 24
What type of smoker will you be using? You could get some different tips depending on what it is.....electric...charcoal...stick burner? Also are you planing on wraping on not wraping? Looks like a nice chunk of shoulder. Cut a little different than we normally do in the states but that won't make a bit of difference on your cooking. Im excited for you to be doing your first cook!

Reactions: Leejames12
Regardless of the smoker type - I would season the heck out of it with SP or SPG. Wrap it or bag it up and pop it back into the fridge. I usually season mine 12 to 24 hours before I smoke it.

I prefer to remove most of the big fat off of the outside (your pic's 1 and 3 are perfect in my opinion). There is plenty of fat throughout the cut of meat to keep it moist.

Season that smoker for a good while before you start smoking your PP!

My advice as also being new -

listen to the people here :D .
Monitor your temperature, not just the meat but the internal temp of the smoker as well.
Other advice will depend on the type of the smoker you are getting (there is a specific way to start the smoker I have and various techniques to make it work more efficiently).
It is a good looking cut. I look forward to watching this all come together.

What type of smoker will you be using? You could get some different tips depending on what it is.....electric...charcoal...stick burner? Also are you planing on wraping on not wraping? Looks like a nice chunk of shoulder. Cut a little different than we normally do in the states but that won't make a bit of difference on your cooking. Im excited for you to be doing your first cook!
Thanks!, very exited, it will be cooked on a stick burner.

My advice as also being new -

listen to the people here :D .
Monitor your temperature, not just the meat but the internal temp of the smoker as well.
Other advice will depend on the type of the smoker you are getting (there is a specific way to start the smoker I have and various techniques to make it work more efficiently).
It is a good looking cut. I look forward to watching this all come together.
Thanks mate!. I look forward to cooking it, i used to be a fire bug so managing a fire aint an issue. i have probes which i will test now and ill be using them. I have the inkbird ibt-6.

Reactions: HerrMojo
Regardless of the smoker type - I would season the heck out of it with SP or SPG. Wrap it or bag it up and pop it back into the fridge. I usually season mine 12 to 24 hours before I smoke it.

I prefer to remove most of the big fat off of the outside (your pic's 1 and 3 are perfect in my opinion). There is plenty of fat throughout the cut of meat to keep it moist.

Season that smoker for a good while before you start smoking your PP!
I will have a good fire in there using rapeseed oil and with oak wood, for a good 3 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky