• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldsongs91

Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
Hello! I am from Australia so some of our cuts are named different I think. I went to the butcher and asked for pork shoulder or butt and they gave me a pork scotch and said it was good for pulled pork.

I’ve had it in the smoker 3.5 hours and it is not reaching a stall yet. It’s 5 pounder and it’s currently sitting at 77 internal. I’ve kept it between 220-250 the whole time other than one point it got way too low and I had to put in more coals. (Still learning, 3rd cook)

Should I just leave it in? Wrap it? I’m having friends over for dinner and I am trying to not disappoint. I thought it was 2 hour per pound so I was expecting it to take 10 hours but I am now not sure!

Any advice is welcome! 🙏

Reactions: JLeonard
Internal 77* Celsius? if so then you should be knocking on the stalls door. If you're talking 77* Fahrenheit then you still have a ways to go.

If you're at 77* C, and only a third of the way into your planned 10hr cook. Then I would let it ride naked and forget about wrapping. You can always wrap if you see the need later into the cook.

If you're at 77*F then I would wrap it when you hit the stall.

A pork scotch is a butt, and they all cook a little differently. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris

You can up the cooking temp some. If it gets done a bit early, put in a cooler with towels to keep warm.

Last edited:
Yes the temps are in F. I think it has been in the stall now for 45min, should I wrap it now?thanks for your reply’s

Hey so I put it in a wrap and added a little apple juice which I think was a mistake because some of it is “mushy” ? My partner says it’s nice but the texture for some of it feels off to me. (He isn’t a meat head like me) hmm. It is feeling a bit better as it’s drying out.

Any tips? Could I put it in a pan and fry it a bit. Eek.

It’s also 1:30pm here and I was expecting it for dinner for friends! Ha!

Any tips for re heating?

You're at the time where I would call it good on the smoke.
I put it in a pan, foil wrap, (or into a roaster pan with good cover) and move to a 300°F oven and check now and then until it probes tender usually around 205°F and turn the oven off. The heat will hold until dinner time.

Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky